Shoud I buy this L94 engine?????

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 70 gsconvt, Nov 23, 2012.

1. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

They do

2. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Well, I could always sell the stock ones and get cnc'd ones if they'd come off. Oops! There's another $1K.

3. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Lol actually you fould send them out to get them done. Would end up costing about the same but no hassle trying to sell etc.

4. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

Yea, I've heard of that issue as well. Why GM went back to 4 bolts, instead of the 5 used on the Gen 1, II, and big blocks I'll never understand.

5. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Why not take the path of least resistance? LS7 with this cam http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1411&sb=0 I have that cam in my LS7 and no other mods except headers and forged pistons, it put down 515 rwhp. Imo by the time you do what you're talking about doing with a properly built boost specific engine that will live, you"ll be into it for the same or more as a take out LS7.

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

LOL, it's not like the LS9s are blowing apart. They have to survive hideous torture testing. The complaint is a little funny- "Boo hoo, my production engine won't support 800RWHP from the factory!!":)

7. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

For what the OP is talking about building - as long as he's using the proper head gasket and quality head bolts or studs, he'll be fine. Though I still think it was odd that GM would go from 5 head bolts/cyl to 4. I don't get that.

...that said, I still say ditch the forced induction and just put a big cam, LS3/aftermarket manifold, and a good set of large tube headers on it. There are LOTS of NA LS3s out there making 500rwhp, which is essentially what he would have, since he'd have an aluminum 6.2 with rec port heads and an LS3 manifold.

8. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

I know I could just stick a big honkin' cam in the engine and make horsepower, but that's not what I'm after. For one, I'd like it to idle decently with a nice lope, not be a window rattler.

Putting the supercharger on it would be an easy way to add 120 or so hp to the rear wheels, according to the manufacturer's web sites. Combine that with the engine's 403 stock hp along with a better cam and possibly cnc'd heads, this is where I'm coming up with my @500 hp at the rear wheels. All this through a T56 trans.

I must say that the LS7 route is also another possibility. Putting a cam, cnc'd heads along with a FAST intake system would also get me to my goal. But they're a bit tougher to find.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  9. Leonards78LT

Leonards78LT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you look at the design of the LSx engine, the head bolts pull from the bottom of the block, which provides much more clamping force, even more so with a iron block.

10. Air_Adam

Air_Adam Veteran Member

Ya, but even still, GM went to a 6-bolt design for their aftermarket blocks and heads - so they must have realized the 4-bolt setup was a mistake.