SHOULD I UPGRADE MY EXHAUST?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Z28-79, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

I have been running the pypes 2.5 transverse for several years. Their mandrel bent X pipe system is the "go to" for easy clean install and good clearance. I have no regrets. If planning to go up to over 450 hp, a 3'' system might be a good upgrade. Or use the pypes elec. cut outs for when you need more flow. I wanted a good sounding system, but still be able to enjoy the ride and stereo. Pypes has delivered. No drone!

John Wright and Z28-79 like this.
  2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Yep, it's a choke point for sure, on both points, pipe size, and most likely those "glasspacks". A nice 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust/kit could support up to 500hp, mufflers need to flow in the 550 CFM range each at that HP (assuming dual) for a close to "zero HP" loss system.

If your getting a muffler shop to build it with compression bends, go 3".

Z28-79 likes this.
  3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Not true bout going from 2.5 to 3" exhaust. I have both systems for my street car and the 2.5"feels stronger the 3". Remember exhaust is different than the intake side, just like headers bigger is not better for exhaust. I have had 1 5/8" headers that makes more power than the big buck Hooker Super Comps, and these are the cheapo ones. You might loose maybe 10hp but if your system is 2.5 mandrel bent with some real good flowing mufflers that about the drop I would expect but the torque numbers will be pretty good. Look for the Engine masters video on mufflers and exhaust, it was pretty eye opening.

Z28-79 likes this.
  4. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Especially the smashed header tests.

RS1979 and 1980RS like this.
  5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used Pypes 3" mandrel bent Stainless steel X system, over the axle and out the back with the factory style hockey stick tips. Works great, I modified it some for my single turbo car but for a stock arrangement, it should work great.

Z28-79 likes this.
  6. nova75mike

nova75mike Veteran Member

x2 on the 3" Pypes system with X pipe and Race Pro's. looks very nice and with the help of a buddy, was installed in about an hour. was worried about it fitting around the sway bar, but had PLENTY of clearance.

Z28-79 likes this.
  7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

That was my favorite video too.

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I remember that video, it amazed me how much they smashed on those header tubes before the power was effected. It made me feel a little better about denting the headers for socket clearance for the header bolts.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Well here is muffler shop done pipes vs internet mandrel bent pypes. Not sure what a few krinkles in the tubes makes performance wise but i did measure both the bent pipes vs the mandrel bent ones they are the same. Down side is the pypes stuff leaks really bad and did not fit all that well. I am sure it can be plugged up but is it worth your time. Upside the shop tail pipes run out the back of the car fully "no fumes into the trunk" and clears the gas tank and body with room to spare. No rattles at all...
    20190518_102334.jpg 20190518_132413.jpg

1980RS and Z28-79 like this.
  10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Look for the Engine masters video on mufflers and exhaust, it was pretty eye opening.

I also found it very interesting, maybe taking "time" like 10-12 seconds to hit the target RPM with a 300 RPM/sec sweep somewhat camouflages or screws the data.

Static Dyno data vs Dynamic results can be on opposite sides of the scale.

Would be interesting if they did the same test within 10 seconds hitting the sweeps 3 or 4 times to max rpm simulating a 3 spd auto or 4 spd 10 second 1/4 pass. One of the fancy dynos at BLP or Hendricks would be interesting, measuring "time" instead of HP/TQ may uncover something, not to mention the cyl to cyl variations.