SHOULD I UPGRADE MY EXHAUST?

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Z28-79, Jul 22, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

My lower compression BBC stuff is like that. I had one with 2" headers the car ran the best of 12.09, switched to 1 3/4" headers and the car ran 11.87 and I picked up 2 mph. It's all gotta work together. Just bought some merge collectors for my 2" Super Comps to bump up the tq. on those baby's.

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Yep, same experience here.
    Please share what the merge collectors give you if it's a back to back test.

I had good results with the ones I built, not as extensive as a Burns or anything, but an improvement, still use them.

Used/tested the 4 into 2 into 1 from Flowmaster in the early 90's!!, holy crap, they did not like my setup lol!!

Some work so well you need to re-tune and maybe re cam to take full advantage of them.

3. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

I wish I would have done some back to back testing of headers. I built a set of 4-2-1 headers for the 421 I put in my Monte.
    I had it on an engine dyno but never tried any of the dyno headers he had.
    BTW the guy I had give me guidance for building the headers told me to stay with 2.5 inch all the way back, but I went with 3 inch.