Sick computer

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by ol' grouch, Jul 3, 2019.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I've got a laptop running Windows 8. It started crashing every week or so. Then every few days. Then every day and then several times a day. My nephew is in IT security and him, along with a couple of local techs have said the hard drive is getting ready to head south. Does this sound right or is there a quirk with Windows 8?

If I have to reinstall my Windows Office, can I unregister it and reregister it on the new hard drive as long as it's the same machine?

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you are swapping hard drives, you theoretically shouldn't have to reinstall anything.

1. Purchase new hard drive. I recommend an SSD- Crucial specifically (LOL, I work at Micron). 500GB down to $65, 1TB is $110.
    2. Buy a cloning kit- like this, for instance. Some SSD kits will come with this, I didn't turn one up in a quick search, though.
    3. Plug new SSD into clone cable (attached to USB port), clone existing HD on to new SSD with the included software.
    4. Shutdown laptop, remove old HD, install new SSD, reboot.

Machine should come up exactly as it was, just WAY WAY faster if you currently have an ordinary hard drive.

I've done this a few times now, it's been flawless. I've yet to lose an SSD (bought first one in 2011, it just got sent to the recycle heap in an old netbook). Also, the cool thing about that cable is that you can plug any SATA HD or SSD into it and use it as an external drive.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I'd sure run off dvd disc copies of all your documents and pictures. Or a couple thumb drives, get that stuff secured. Then I'd run through a clean out of cookies and temp files etc. the do a defrag. Might fix it?

4. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Back all data to flash drive or media of your choosing.
    I would as Todd suggested buy a SSD drive and reinstall your operating system(win8) or even download (win10) if you have a win8 license the upgrade should be free. You have several options.
    The crashing could be hardward or software related.
    GL

5. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I'm glad I backed all my music, photos and documents up on a thumb drive. Went to Office Depot to copy the hard drive and have a new one put in. Moot point there. The old drive packed it in and wouldn't start up at all. Now I have a new solid state hard drive and I'm hoping I can reinstall the Windows Office on it. At $150 a pop, I don't want to pay for it on two machines as the one left with Office is long in the tooth and just about dead overall.