Sick of leaks! Solution?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by badazz81z28, Jun 8, 2019.

1. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

the design of the lower cowl vent opening is not good they all leaked i have had 3 .i am thinking about bonding a piece of material above that opening to act as a diverter ,still pondering exactly what though hmm

dave@ztech likes this.
  2. jamieg285

jamieg285 Veteran Member

The leaks that I thought were the kick panels turned out to be rusted lower cowl panel.

3. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

Good tip on the bumper bolts (4) that are in the trunk if not sealed well they can/will leak.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just installed the Steele trunk lid seal, and it was the best fit, right height, seated correctly , the other two I tried, Soft Seal , that had the holes in the foam, and the Fairchild, that was solid foam, were too firm, and made the lid bow, and didn't seat properly , just an FYI

hubedobeedo likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

What is you put a seal on the lip around the opening and the kick panel slides in?

6. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

all the ones i had had a big glopped up looking soft white stuff super flexible .but if it is not totally sealed up well we know what that is. i think part of or maybe most of the problem is the distance between the hard part and the sheetmetal(trying to fill gap).thats why i am thinking about doing some kinda hood over the top of the panel in the cavity were the water will flow. you know the area were the air flows from the top outer cowl opening. GM DID NOT DESIGN THEM TO LAST. But i really like them,o yea

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Or pull the fender off, cut a hole in the cowl and seal it from the inside lol.

8. K1ng0011

K1ng0011 Veteran Member

I live in Western Washington State we get lots of rain here and so I have constantly battled water leaks in my car. I have put in a lot of effort to stop it from leaking so I know your pain. Main problem areas I have seen are the trunk, windows, and floors is where people get water in their cars. I have had all three of course. I have found it very difficult to get the window to seal to the weatherstripping. From what I have read you really want the softest aftermarket upper window weatherstripping or GM original. Most of the aftermarket stuff is not that soft. I am on my second set and it has not made much difference. Third set I buy will be expensive but hopefully its softer than what I have been using. I am able to keep most of the water out but not all through the window with what I have now. There are several places that can leak up front. I had problems with leaks above my fuse box and that was due to the firewall is spotweleded to the cowl and they used sealer up there to prevent leaks. Mine was 40 years old so I had to chizel it out and lay new seam sealer down. Make sure you have no leaks down in your cowl water can get trapped down there. Also take off each of the kick panels and clean them out make sure that water can drain out properly. You also have to seal up the kick panels properly when your done or they can leak. Make sure if your carpet has got wet that you pull the carpet up and let it dry my experience is that it is very good at staying wet underneath the carpet. There are other areas that can leak up front but these are just my personal experiences. Now regards to trunk leaks. Pull off the chrome trim around the rear window so you can look for leaks around the rear window, and at the base of the rear window if there is any rust holes it can leak into your trunk. Clean and paint this channel so no rust holes will form. Next pull off the upper package tray panel, the small panel between your rear window and trunk. This will reveal the mechanism for holding your trunk open. This panel is not water tite. Water naturally drains from your rear window and the channels under the chrome trim to under the upper package track panel. There could be rust holes under this which will leak into your trunk. When you put the upper package tray panel back on make sure you put a little sealer on the screws to prevent water from leaking past the threads. After water passes under the upper package tray panel it will drain by each side of the trunk that is where the water is meant to drain. Clean the whole area around the weatherstripping very good and paint and then the water will drain down the rear tail panel.

Good Thread On Trunk Weatherstripping With Crossections: http://nastyz28.com/threads/70-camaro-trunk-weather-seal.321842/
    Door Water Shield Mylar: https://www.npdlink.com/product/wat...-door-panel-mylar-best-protection/111422/1478
    Seam Sealer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...f77-491827aee221&pf_rd_r=1D3NA3P1TT9A4PE895ME
    Putty To Seal Holes/Kickpanels: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-1-lb-Plug-Duct-Seal-Compound-DS-110/100212441
    Firewall to Cowl Seal:
    [​IMG]

Upper Package Tray Panel Removed:

[​IMG]

Proximity_Alert likes this.
  9. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

dave@ztech likes this.