Silly seat question

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by bigdav160, May 16, 2014.

1. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

Is it possible to put round top seat covers on a square back seat? Is the foam the only difference?

I'm thinking of installing a set of new black '73 LT covers, however, my front seats came out of a '78 Trans Am.

Any insight on the differences?

2. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The seat frame will be the problem. I'm having troubles finding a picture of a 78-81 trans am seat frame to say for sure. The pics below show the differences from the cover you want to put on and with the previous year's trans am seats. So since those are different, I wouldn't be surprised in the 78-81 trans am frames differ as well since their seat design is different.

Your best bet since you're recovering may be to get a set of junk seats. Put new foam and covers on and be done. Because you'll already be needing new foam to match the new seat covers.

71-81 camaro seat frame
    [​IMG]

73-76 trans am seat frame
    [​IMG]

3. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

Thanks for the pics. Wow, considerably different in construction than my '72 Corvette (I just recovered in original leather).

The Trans Am seats are in pretty good shape (no tears in the cloth covers) but do not match the back seat. I might pull the covers and look at the frames. I might ask for dimensions. The plasma cutter could make quick work of the tops.

4. 1981gMachine

1981gMachine Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oh, I sourced those pictures after searching the net a bit. I knew from taking my 81 seats apart that the frame might be a concern. So I did a little digging for you. However I couldn't find 78-81 trans am seat frame pictures to make a definite conclusion.

I also wouldn't get into cutting the metal frame. It's an integral part of the seat. In the event of an accident the frame could fail and cause injury.

I cut a hole in my frame for a belt but I welded in some round stock around the hole and added a few support rods. To add some rigidity back to the seat back. I however have a roll bar so the seat itself has support during the event of an accident.

I don't have pictures of my modifications but basically I just cut a belt hole and the same through the foam.

[​IMG]