Silverado Model for Towing

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by mgd1790, Aug 18, 2019.

1. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Hi, I live outside of Chicago and was looking at Silverados. For towing an 18’ trailer with any of my Camaros, I’m confused on which 1500 I can get and what towing/motor package I need.

I’m most likely going to get something a couple years old to maybe a maximum of five years old.

Here’s an example of the trailer I’m looking at.

https://www.diamondc.com/trailers/automobile/cht/

2. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I have towed my boat 21.5 ft and I have also towed my 79 Camaro. The boat is a short haul about 3 miles the car tow is about 2hrs from Long Island to ATCO NJ.

I have used a Cherokee, Durango, Trailblazer to tow the car but when I got my 2015 Silverado LTZ Z71 package with Leather seats and AC in the seats ... the towing experience is night and day ... It is an awesome truck.

3. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

So any decent motor LTZ Z71 should work fine?

4. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

Most of what I saw online for the newer or similar was as long as you had the 5.3L motor it should be able to pull up to 10.5k or something.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It depends heavily on how much and how far you tow, and even more where you tow. If you plan to just tow short trips in your area, just about any 1500 setup will work. If you plan to tow the trailer fully loaded across Colorado, the 1500 will come up short. For climbing the big mountains you will need a 2500 or larger with a diesel or large gas engine. The 1500 with a small engine falls flat when the hills get big.
    My Son moved from North Dakota and made numerous trips to Washington towing his classic cars. For the first trips he used his 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with 5.3 engine. It couldn't handle the load in the mountains. Later he picked up a 3/4 ton Suburban powered by a 454. The Suburban plays with a loaded trailer in the mountains quite effortlessly.
    And, towing a loaded trailer in the mountains, the 454 uses less gas than the 5.3. because the 454 does in overdrive while the 5.3 has to shift down 2 gears to 2nd to keep moving.

6. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I have the 5.3L but I do tow on the flat lands. Basic hills and ramps for bridges are not an issue but I have zero experience in North Dakota/Washington. You are in Chicago where are you going to tow to?

7. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

If you can’t pull your boat with a 300+Hp ls motor of any size in a 1500 you don’t need to be towing it. Ocean liners don’t cross country. (Often)

8. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

I’m in Chicago and I would say Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan...basically one state away-ish and flat lands. Anything more I will pay for someone to give it a ride.

9. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Edit: when using an ls powered truck to pull be prepared- they make their power higher in the rpm range, and thus will scream at 5500+ in 2nd geAr going up hills, just something to get used to. Took me a bit to adjust.

10. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

my current lease is a 2018 Silverado 4 door 5.3 4x4

rated to tow 10k...even though the tires are P rated

my car trailer weighs 2000# and my scrap cars usually weigh around 4000#

the truck pulls that 6000# weight like it's not even there...no issues

tow/haul mode will hold the trans in gear longer and will automatically gear down if I ride the brake for more than 5 seconds...pretty cool