Smeding performance

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by TX79Z28, Jul 1, 2010.

1. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was looking at Smeding performance to build a 383, as I was trying to contact them, I realized they moved from California to Texas. Has anyone dealt with them since they moved? I am wondering if they are the same company or if they purchased the name/business? (kind of like Carr transmissions in Dallas)

2. jaybird8787

jaybird8787 New Member

I recently purchased a "Extreme 383" from them and I too thought they were still in California. Only when I actually talked to the salesman did I find out that they had moved to Texas. I actually drove to San Antonio and picked my engine up. They are indeed the same Smedding. Ben Smedding gave me a tour of their new facility. They had just moved in and didn't even have the parking lot paved yet. I have been very happy with their product and their service after the sale. Good people to deal with and very helpfull with information and tips. Seems to be good products as well. I have only put 1000 or so miles on the new motor, and so far, so good. Overall, I would highly recommend them.

Jay

3. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We used to deal with Ben Smeding when he was doing regular machine work .

They always had a clean shop and accurate time lines. IF there were ever a delay or problem, Ben or his people would call in advance and let us know! This is one of the rarest examples of true customer service from a machine shop I have ever known!

Too bad they stopped doing other engine work and just concentrated on their Crate Engine programs! Their Bill Jenkin's Big Block is a nice engine!

4. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Another good business driven out of California by high taxes and regulation?

5. TX79Z28

Do you know why they made such a radical move from California to Texas?(not complaining...great for me! LOL). From what you say, it doesnt sound like it was some sort of "escape" plan, just strange to see that happen. From the brief phone call to a couple of emails (some guy named U-Kim, was he there in the California location?) it seems like they are really good about customer service. I just wonder why their website is so outdated (location, warranty, etc)?

6. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I believe Ben had some family back in Texas and the costs of doing business in the Sacramento, California area was ridiculous even though his shop was in the center of automotive businesses of the area!

His business demands outgrew his location and for the projects he was getting involved in, he needed a place to do some testing and experimentation. I also heard that this allowed him to work with some other well known names in the country besides Jenkins. This puts him near the center for all and he could be more accessible...

R-M-S??? W-J??? Who knows???

Our loss is definitely your gain!

7. jaybird8787

jaybird8787 New Member

While I was at their facility I asked Ben why they moved. He told me it was due to the high cost of being in Californa. He also said his brother had lived in Texas for several years and had always been after him to come check it out. Once he did, he decided to move. Mr. U-Kim has worked for Smedding for something like 20 years. Again, all around good people.

Jay

8. TX79Z28

extreme vs hot rod

Just curious, not knowing much about the Smeding engines. it seemed the best engine for my street-only application was the 383 hot rod. What were the factors that led you in the direction of the 383 extreme vs the other two 383s?

Before settling on Smeding, I was dead locked on getting a ZZ383, and was planning on going up to YOUR neck of the woods to get it from SD Chevy, but I think this Smeding engine is better dollar for dollar

9. jaybird8787

jaybird8787 New Member

Yep, I too had decided on the GM ZZ383 but while flipping through some old magazines, I run across a Smedding ad. Anyway, one thing led to another and here I am. I think the main thing that sold me was the motor was dyno tuned and ready to drop in. The simple reason for the extreme verses the hot rod was more HP. I put the engine in an '81 with 3.73 gears, a TCI street fighter turbo 350 with a break away converter. If I had it to do over, I would step up to a street fighter converter. The extreme cam profile is just about border line as far as power brakes and idle quality. It took mucho tuning and fiddling to get the motor to idle good when dropping into drive. I think maybe a tad higher stall would lower the rpm drop from park to drive.

10. camcojb

camcojb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

would that be UnKi Kim?

Jody

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010