So I opened a cam of worms, now I'm nervous!!!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by QUAKE_WARS, Jul 20, 2009.

1. mgs1971

mgs1971 Veteran Member

I just bought an 02 LS1 and T56 from a Camaro that was totalled when it had only 7K miles on it. The information you have posted here will be referred to many times when I get started with my swap. Thanks for your post and also to all of those who have contributed additional information.

2. Franked

Franked New Member

I have bought 3 T-56s in the last several months, Nothing is in a running car yet.
    I bought a salvage title 97 trans-am, running with a little body damage for 1600 at an auction(for a friend with a 4th-gen camaro, he's trading in the whole drivetrain into his 94 LT1/auto.)

I bought another from a 96 camaro that the guy had put in a 3rd gen, and wrecked it, breaking the rear axle. I got that one complete with(less than 1000mi) new Spec 3 clutch/flywheel package, the bell/shifter/hyd master/slave for 1000.00(My buddy and I went to this guy's house to pull it out of the car) He was asking 1500 on Craigs list, he went down to 1200 on the phone, then to 1000 when I said I'd come pull it out.
    that is a complete bolt in(almost) package for 1000!! I did go and buy a shifter relocation kit 400.00(moves shifter 10 inches forward, and I'm moving the engs/trans 4inches back for better weight dist) this is for my 66 Elcamino

The last one I got for my son's 72 camaro(307/auto). I'm changing the engine to a 91 P/U TBI 350, and the trans came from another auctioned salvage title 97 camaro, again almost bolt in(1300) trying to sell the rest of the car for parts now(had no engine) and get some of the 1300 back.

The point is, if you look, you can find bolt in(to SBC, 87 up to 97) for 1000 to 1500, I missed one that a guy had for 800 on craigslist, he emailed me back an offer of 700, with bell and flywheel/clutch, no hydraulics. I had to work the next day and it was gone. they are out there though.
    I was looking into the Keisler setup, and never pulled the trigger for 6-7 years because it was so much money. I'm working on getting my son's camaro up and running(it runs now, but...) this summer and the whole car with the trans is about what the "kits" cost.

3. kyphur

kyphur Veteran Member

Too bad you're in CA. I have a tbi supercharger setup I'm getting rid of.

[​IMG]

4. cars4life

cars4life Veteran Member

Great thread. Thinking of 5 or 6 speed for a 73 I'm going to do soon. I would like to put one in my 79z but I can't bring my self to cut that car in any way.

5. Trevmust

Trevmust New Member

so say I did this, could I just rebrace the transmission tunnel if I can to cut into the brace? or is it not even a problem?

6. Yearn4camaros

Yearn4camaros New Member

Please help on my t56 conversion

Quake_Wars! Can i please get your help with my currect t56 conversion in my 73RS!? Tried PM'ing you but your box is full

7. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Empty now :cool:

Sent you my #. Call me tomorrow

Last edited: May 16, 2016