so when did the little stuff get so expensive?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Jimmac, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I went and did the boost reference modifications to the 600 holleys on my camaro. While under the hood, noticed the radiator hoses etc was showing its age. decided to get all new hoses antifreeze cap etc. holy crap 85 bucks!
    then I get home, start the car, pull the shifter to reverse and it gets all floppy! darn cable snapped! oriely had one for 66 bucks! I think the last one I paid 40 bucks?
    this stuff is not getting any cheaper that's for sure. jim

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't know but it sure creeps up doesn't it. :( I'm stunned every time I have to price tires.

3. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

No kidding. I had a tire on my riding lawn mower that was going flat..... dry rot leaking thru the sidewall. Typical 15x6x6 tire that every rider takes. Cheapest I saw was $42 at Tractor supply. Screw that!! Tire still has good tread, a $6 tube saved the day.

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had to replace a shifter cable on my neighbor's 2000 Camry. Advance wanted $300 for a cable, same thing from Toyota was also $300....... damn, must be gold plated for that price.

I bought a used one online for $50 instead.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^+1
    Yes.... The little pieces for our cars seem expensive compared to what they cost in the past.

But many of those parts are a bargain compared to the price of parts for new cars. :eek:

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

You telling me! $80 for a small PS hard line...$25 for an AN fitting...ridiculous!

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I know what you mean about expensive parts. I mostly buy everything on line now as the junk O'rielly and AutoZone is just higher priced stuff that Rockauto and Parts Geeks sells. I have found some good deals on AM Auto Parts as well. My fuel pump for the 02 suburban was $54 O'rielly was $199, screw that.

8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

The chain stores have closed most of the local suppliers I used to use. Of the 6 warehouses in town in the early 1980's when I had a shop, one is left.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Today's vehicles are disposable, not repairable. Because of that, it is no longer cost effective to supply parts for them. If auto parts stores can't sell parts, they have only a couple of choices. Either go out of business, or increase the price of what parts they have so they can survive.
    If we had better quality vehicles today, we would also have better prices on parts for them.

10. EVILFACE

EVILFACE Veteran Member

Or the parts store is almost always out of the part. "we are out of that, we can order it" Well I could just order it online too....