So when was the last time someone wanted to see your high school diploma?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Knuckle Dragger, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was a little surprised when my wife asked if I knew where her high school diploma was. Her new employer needed it for HR. She had already passed the background check, wouldn't you think that would have covered it? We gave it to them, no harm I just found it amusing.

I can't ever remember having to show my diploma, ever. How about you?

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

She should have said "I don't read good!" and see where that went.:D

I just realized I have no idea where mine is... Not sure if I have it or ever did? Guess a call to Mom & Dad is in order...

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Don't remember ever getting it out for anything. Just check the box on the application. And I just lately had to get a copy of our marriage license for retirement applications. Didn't know there was one, all we ever saw was the paper from the preacher that married us way back when. Really surprised that there was an actual license at the courthouse. Never needed it until now.

4. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

I have a Ph.D and my employer has never asked for proof...

5. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Never been asked, my son just got his last month and we asked where he was gonna put and he said he didn't care because no one will ever ask for it.
    My wife has never been asked for hers either.
    I do know sometimes HR will ask for college or professional certification when determining starting salary at that company.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

This is a funny thread for me as I did not graduate and have never in my 30 years of working was asked to show a diploma, to this day I still don't care if I ever get one. Only reason I did not get it was I got kicked out of 2 classed back then (it was the 70's you know) and they principal would not let me make them up so I said "screw it". Made it this far without one, better than a lot with a degree.

dave@ztech, 72BIGBLOCK and 1972_Z-28 like this.
  7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I've never been asked for mine.

When I was hiring people (for more than one company), I never asked for one (and my HR department didn't either).

Background check - yup

Two forms of ID to comply with the federal I-9 requirements - yup

I wonder what that HR department would do if your wife had told the HR department that she didn't know where her HS diploma was???

Seriously, the employer has already interviewed her and decided she was qualified for the job. What does a HS diploma mean at this point?

8. Phil G

Phil G Veteran Member

I have no idea where my HS diploma is. Probably in a box somewhere at Mom's house. I have two Engineering Degrees and I've never had anyone ask to see them. If they do I have a laminated card of my Bachelor's Degree in my wallet.

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

They gave us the option of Diploma, transcripts or letter from the school to confirm she graduated. The transcripts we ordered showed up about an hour after she found the Diploma. If we had to prove her vocational school training we would be hosed. Her school was bought a few times and eventually went belly up.

10. xten

xten Veteran Member

That was fast! Not long ago you were asking what job sites work well, if anyone had ideas. Congratulations! My wife had to interview for her same job four different times due to company being bought out. Each time she had to provide HS info, but never had to produce a diploma. She did however had to produce proof she was actually born...