Someone wanna measure something for me?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by anesthes, Nov 25, 2011.

1. anesthes

anesthes Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Salem, NH
    If you have your car on jack stands, or a lift.

From the back of the block, where the bell housing/trans mounts, to the machined FACE of the snout on the rear differential (behind the dust cover on the yoke) I have 81".

I feel like Its an inch closer (causing a potential driveshaft issue if my suspension completely compresses) than it should be.

I'd love to hear from one or two other guys.

-- Joe

2. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    From your instructions mine measures 82". B/W ST-10, 48" drive shaft, center of yoke to center of yoke..

3. anesthes

Jun 17, 2009
    Salem, NH
    Thanks!

So my engine/front frame is 1" too far back, or my rear end is 1" too far forward.

If I check one or two more spots, do you think you could check yours for me and report back the measurement found? At this point I'm guessing the front frame is too far back, but there is also a good chance the pins are sheared and the rear end is too far forward. ?

-- Joe

4. mildthing

mildthing Veteran Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Benson, Utah
    I'm not sure that full-compression is the worry. If the front half of the rear springs is truly horizontal at ride height, then yes. Otherwise, the worry is at full droop.
    I can check for that 81" or 82" late tomorrow afternoon.

5. Rene Melten

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    Yup, just ask what you want measured.

6. anesthes

Jun 17, 2009
    Salem, NH
    Thank you!

Here is the first one. What I did was on the bracket for the leaf spring, I guess the mount bracket, I took the rear bolt and measured from the center of that bolt to the axle tube. I get 20 1/2"

[​IMG]

That, I hope will at least tell me if my axle is in the right spot in relation to the leaf spring.

Next, I wanted to see if my front subframe is too far back, so I looked at the side of it and there is these like 1" holes. I put the tape measure in the most rearward hole, and measured to the eye of the leaf spring and I got 37 1/2"

[​IMG]

Thank you!

-- Joe

7. Rene Melten

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    I think we found it. Again with your pics. I got 21 1/2" and 38 1/2".

8. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    My 79 measures about 5/8" off everyone else's cars in that dimension, although mine is too long, and my subframe is in perfect alignment and my rear is on the dowel pins of the new leaf springs. Chalk it up to build quality. I had to have a custom D-shaft made for what should have been a straightforward swap.

9. Rene Melten

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    Hold on, I'll remeasure that 20 1/2" again, was a little confused, you said bolt! Be right back.

10. anesthes

Jun 17, 2009
    Salem, NH
    Did you see my T5 swap thread?

[​IMG]

This no look right...

-- Joe