Someones in the kitchen with Dinah.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Aug 15, 2019.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

When they get up in your overhead they are a pain. I set about 10 Victor rat traps to deter. I had a plastic type net that was my vent for the soffit. Bastards chewed right through. It took several weeks to get that M/F. I had 3 big traps on the ground. I got 3 fricken cats. All were my Neighbors. One night I heard the Rat trap snap. I ran out and caught it on the top of the Privacy fence. I took my Dads old aluminum crutch and brained that sucker. He became fertilizer for my front citrus trees. I don't mind them living in my area, just not my house!

2. Plater Tom

Plater Tom Veteran Member

I wonder how many folks "got" the Dinah part..;)

xten and chevyJeff1 like this.
  3. chevyJeff1

chevyJeff1 Veteran Member

i dont really mind possums even tho they are ugly as hell. Look like big rats. But like zzzzz28 already stated possums are cleaner than many other critters and they eat the hell out of ticks. And that's a good thing!

4. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Got another one last night. I guess I got mom yesterday. This one is really mad too! I guess I'll be putting out more traps. (Actually, the GF's name isn't Dinah but it's more alliterative.)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Maybe a few that worked on the railroad all the live long day? lol
    We have them wandering around our yard at times. One of our dogs died from Lyme's last June, so they're welcome here. Definitely not in the house.

6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Holy crap dude, i cant imagine how that thing could get in your house. I had a dog door in my last house so my dog could come and go when my work hours were longer than normal. i always felt like i was asking for it with a dog door, but nothing ever came in except my dog. He made it very clear to some animals that the backyard was his, and his only, and trespassing was not tolerated. I did have to remove 2 groundhogs. They are not a pleasant animal at all.

I battled Lyme disease just recently, so this ugly animal is ok in my book. But he wouldnt be real welcome in my house. i had mice in my house when i moved in that skeeved me out.

7. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

Im with dcozzi - ground hogs, snakes, racoons beware. :D

dcozzi likes this.
  8. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I had some trouble with a ground hog burrowing under my garage. The neighbor wanted to either trap or shoot it. I showed him a trick with Cayenne pepper powder that took care of the issue. Sprinkle some liberally into the hole, mix some more in the gravel it dug out and then push it all back in the hole. 2 or 3 times and Mr. Groundhog will go elsewhere. It only works on mammals but is really effective.

I went over my foundation yesterday and only found one opening and it has a cast iron grate over it. The attic vents look good too. Then it dawned on me, My chimney is from when the house was built and it had a coal stove for heat. When they added a gas furnace, the pipe was run up the middle. I'll bet the little stinkers got around the pipe and are in my attic. This last one was really feisty.

9. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

They are aggressive at times especially when cornered.
    I raised some baby ones and they stayed aggressive but i kept them caged up and did not make pets from them as I was going to release them when they got big enough.

I did release them.
    I have also caught them by hand the adult ones by the tail and the ones I caught like that were not aggressive.
    One got killed by father-in-law with a BB gun and I tanned the hide, still had the head skin all attached with ears and whiskers.
    Looked scary with plastic vampire teeth in the mouth hole when I set it out for Halloween.

I knew the fact about the ticks, good information if you do not know it.

10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, my wife used to comment about how ugly they are every time we saw one, then she got bit by a tick and got Lyme. Now they're her favorite critter! And they don't get Lyme themselves, apparently.