Spec Miata

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by mgd1790, Apr 30, 2019.

1. mgd1790

mgd1790 Veteran Member

I have some Camaro racing questions coming up but my step-son was interested in racing MX-5 Miatas. Anyone out there know anything about them? We've been googling and reading this and that.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

2. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

I don't know anything about racing Miata's but I did own 2. A 89 and a 90. Fun cars to drive. Handle great even in stock form.
    Over time I added rollbars, turn signal intakes, front and rear strut braces and did air box mods.
    both were 1.6 N/A . 1 was a manual and the other was an auto. I bought the auto for the GF.
    I do know there is a ton of aftermarket parts for it.

The 89. 1.6 N/A, 5 spd
    download145.png

and the 90. 1.6 N/A, 4 spd auto, hardtop. I added a cool Le Mans style pop top gas filler cap

miatapics002.jpg

Flynt likes this.
  3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The nice thing about spec Miata is that your rig is already determined.
    I have some friends who have run national championship Miata’s in various classes. If there’s something specific you want to know about I’m happy to ask

4. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

5. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

A co-worker has a ‘94, I can tell you one thing, I can sit in it and reach over the door and touch the ground.

6. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

I raced them in Skip Barber Series and a few races in the Playboy MX5 Cup. Easy car to set-up and drive. Lots of Fun!

7. sparkyboy

sparkyboy Veteran Member

Miata? It's a legitimate sports car! WHAT movie is that from? Maybe it's a tv show.
    I have no clue about spec miata, is that like scca club racing with small and big bore?
    All I know about a miata is that they make a kit for a subaru ej engine to go with the Mazda trans to keep rwd. Or convert to awd if your heart desires. I understand it lowers the center of gravity and an sti swap would be dope.
    But seriously man, miata? Does he already own one? Here is an article on how a freakin neon in a different class mashed a miata! Yes dodge neon but he has a front posi.
    Have any of you guys had the pleasure of driving a car equipped with a front posi fast? I love a good Scandinavian whip! It's nothing like a rear posi, the steering wheel fights you as the posi applies power to the inside wheel the car wants to go straight and you add a little steering to gain a little traction on the outside wheel. So much fun!
    It is a truly unique driving experience and the basics should be learned first in a rwd or awd car first like heel and toe downshifting, using the throttle to steer (opposite!) and of course throttling out of an oversteer instead of lifting.
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a10322495/the-sweet-science-of-front-wheel-drive-racing/

How old is your step son? If he's a teen still don't let him get all jdm geeked and buy a $1200 set of coilovers and the cheapest ebay turbo that come with free fender flares lol!
    Cheers man have fun and toy with him a bit when the Camaro is on the bumper, maybe just a tiny nudge Earnhardt sr to Earnhardt Jr style;)

Assuming you are not rocking a poly bumper year, and you have the little vertical push bars if you have a flat front year.
    Big bumpers for life!
    Anyone race in the gambler 500? Or 24 hours of lemons?

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  8. sparkyboy

sparkyboy Veteran Member

just a side note on the miata, I think the worst thing about its styling is the tear drop style rear glass. It looks like a 75 and up second gen camaro glass!
    Image-1.jpg
    ^ I like the little spoiler on the top without it it's too round! Or the window is too square I dunno haha! Or maybe im just a snobby little prick always giving unsolicited opinions! Ha
    download.jpeg
    If I had one I would get the little fast back kit, minus the wing of course!
    BVrcLyu.jpg
    If you hear any nonsense about stance, hella flush or cambered out, take them keys away! Rhd conversion up to you.
    Just kidding around, happy wrenching! How lucky are we to have adult legos you put together and treat like a real life video game?

Attached Files:

9. carr911

carr911 Veteran Member

are you 12 years old?

sparkyboy likes this.
  10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sparkyboy - you sound like someone who's never driven a Miata. The reason there are so many Miata's is because they work really well. Very different cars than Camaro's, but A LOT of fun to drive

sparkyboy likes this.