Spectra Tank

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by JJFarmer, Apr 27, 2010.

1. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

I emailed the Spectra company about a FI tank for a 74-81 tank similar to the FI tanks they make for the 70-73....here is their reply...:confused:

• Good morning John,
      Yes, we planned to build Fuel Injection Tanks for the 3rd generation Camaro’s.
      They should be available only at the end of the year. (November or December 2010)

Regards,

Patrick Deschamps

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

He's French......what you do expect ?? :confused:

3. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

Oh, never thought about that...now, what would Tommy say????

4. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

You don't need that tank, do what I'm doing. I'm modifying a brand new stock tank with a tanks inc fuel pump kit. I got the kit off eBay for $215 and it has a built in sump - ready to go.

http://www.thedetailzone.com/Tanks Fuel Pump Install.htm

I'm waiting on the 4.5" holesaw bit to come in and I'll post pics, I'm cheap I could have bought the bit at lowes today for $34.99 + tax......but I ordered one off fleabay for $17 shipped.....I'm only going to use it one time.

The only problem I see are my lines hitting the bottom of the floor, so I'm going to make some sort of raised access panel for that area...haven't figured that out yet. I like to do a slight bulge like the ones found on the hoods of the eagle talon of the 90's.

Once the carpet is in place you won't even see it....Once I tackle this project I'll post a lot of pics.

5. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Email them back and politely correct them. And tell them to baffle the damn things.

6. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

More from Spectra...

Hi John,
    Sorry I meant the later 2nd generation. (74-81)

Patrick Deschamps
    Product Manager - Undercar

Spectra Premium Industries Inc.
    T 450-641-3656 x2274
    F 450-641-6113
    deschampsp@spectrapremium.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objet : RE: Camaro Fuel Tanks

Patrick,
    Thanks for the reply. But just to correct things, the later 2nd gen Camaro tank (74-81) is the FI tank that I was looking for. Since your company is doing the early 2nd gen Camaros, I was hoping that the deeper later 2nd gen tank was in the mill.

Just looking at the tanks side by side, if you moved the pipe/pickup over to the shallow side of the later tank (driver side), it would go right in since that side of the tank is the same as the early tank that your doing already.

7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The trouble with that is that the sending unit gasket could theoretically have fuel pressure against it when the tank is full. That's a recipe for leak.

I did not know the early tank was not baffled. Or maybe I did, I forget...:screwup:

8. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

OK, I'm confussed...the 70-73 is flat all the way across now and all the tanks (70-81) are vented, so how does the tank get pressure?

9. BusDriver

BusDriver Veteran Member

He means that when full, there will be liquid right up against that seal since it can fill up past that point into the higher part, where the others get sloshed on but the gas won't be full time against it.

That will create a little pressure against the seal, just from weight of the gas

10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

Is Spectra the one that National Parts Depot sells? If so this is their claim :

"If your classic Muscle car has a modern powerplant needing a tank to handle the needs of fuel injection, these are the tanks for you! From the same manufacturer as our OEM-correct tanks, they load a stock style tank with a loop-style fuel sending unit w/one feed and one return line, strainer, lock ring and o-ring, and in-tank fuel pump in a baffle to prevent fuel starvation. (rated at 85-115 PSI, 50-60 GPH) and a "plug and play" wiring harness. Use with stock style gas cap."

70 (w/evaporation emission control) 18 gallon (OS) ... C-3001F-3B $579.95
    70 (exc w/evaporation emission control) 18 gallon (OS) ... C-3001F-3A $579.95
    71-73 18 Gallon (OS).... C-3001F-4A $579.95