Speedo Question with Pic

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by West Texas Z, Sep 23, 2008.

1. West Texas Z

West Texas Z Veteran Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Will I have to get any special connections to install an aftermarket speedo from Autometer (pro-comp) and remove the stock one? This is the stocker:

[​IMG]

I'm installing a full set for my Covans dash kit and the old one is ugly. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. West Texas Z

Oct 17, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    [​IMG]

This is what it should look like when done. I already have the NEW oil, water. volt and fuel gauges. Right now I'm just trying to get things in order before I take apart my dash.

3. West Texas Z

Oct 17, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
  4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    How old are you?

Sorry couldn't resists, not funny now huh? Do a search it's been talked about a lot. You will need the adapter from VDO (might be discontinued) or a new cable to make it work. This assumes you're going with a mechanical speedo.

5. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 22, 2001
    Carmel, NY
    I just did the same thing in my 79z. I went from stock to autometer, sport comp gauges.
    The factory cable will not fit the autometer gauge. Basically your only choice is to chage out the cable.I got one from LOkar through summit. Its a universal cable, so its gotta be cut to size.
    There used to be a simpler way. VDO used to make an adapter that would just plug into the stock cable, then plug into the gauge. I looked all over for one, and it seems that VDO discontinued the item. I read some bad reviews about them anyway, noisy, not so accurate....etc.

[​IMG]

6. West Texas Z

Oct 17, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    :p

Thanks! I'll look into that now.

7. Dstryr

Dstryr Veteran Member

May 16, 2007
    Gilroy, CA
    I'm guessing you are going to an mechanical speedometer cable? Well when I did mine on my 71 I realized the stock cable wasn't going to work. So after some research it seemed like the 68 camaro speedometer cable came with a screw on end on both sides.

Worked perfectly and fit everything just like it was suppose to.

Order up one for a 68.

8. West Texas Z

Oct 17, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    Yes its a Mechanical Guage. 68 huh? I'll ask at the parts store for one.

9. West Texas Z

Oct 17, 2007
    Lubbock, TX

do you know what length you used? Apparently there are a few of them for the 68 Camaro. Thanks BTW.

10. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 21, 2006
    West of Chicago
    don't assume that his speedo cable length is the same....do you have identical transmissions?:rolleyes: