Speedometer grommet TKO upgrade

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by larry_anthony, Dec 2, 2019.

1. larry_anthony

larry_anthony Veteran Member

I’m currently installing a TKO 5 speed kit from SST in my 80 z28. Everything has gone great and currently waiting on my driveshaft.

Thus far the toughest job has been replacing the speedometer cable. A new cable comes with the kit that has the correct end on it for the trans. Issue is it has no grommet. I’ve routed it but wondering what to do about a grommet. I cannot take the cable apart and the old one obviously will not fit over either end. What are some other options?

2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes, the speedo cable was the most hateful part of the whole job on my 81. Got my kit from SST as well. Did you make sure to lube the cable before you got it thru the firewall? Also don't forget the small o-ring for the cable on the trans end.

As for the grommet, I cut a small piece of rubber hose lengthwise and popped it onto the cable. I managed to get the hose pushed into the hole to protect the cable, then smushed on a gob of silicone. The cable is tight enough that I don't think I would have managed to get a real grommet in anyways. Too much of a downward angle on the cable.

Did you measure for your driveshaft length yet?

3. larry_anthony

Yes lubed the cable and placed the small o-ring and will try what you suggested later this week. The cable is at a tight angle.

I measured my driveshaft and was 1/32 over 48 11/16.

Do you like your TKO? Can’t wait to drive mine. It’ll be a while as I have several other things to do first. Biggest thing is new body bushings. Trans clears the tunnel but is very close on two corners. Body bushings are shot.

Also need to order a shifter handle. Thanks for your help.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

I love it. Shifts like a new car. I popped for the synchro upgrade and have no problems with high rpm shifts. I wonder though if I really needed the upgrade. Used the break in oil they supplied, then switched to GM synchromesh.

The handle I ordered: NEW BILLET SPECIALTIES BLACK... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074VDH6GK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

You will love the trans. What do you have for rear end gears?

5. larry_anthony

That’s a beautiful shifter. I’m looking at a similar style Lokar brand from Summit.

3:42 rear gears and think the .64 overdrive will be perfect. Also 1st is lower than the T10 I removed so should be better too.

Driveshaft should be in by end of next week. If I can get body bushings changed should be able to test drive in a few weeks. I have a punch list of small things to do as well that’s been building for sometime.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

I just checked my emails to SST and my driveshaft length is bang on exact to yours. SST staff and Jack were great to deal with. It was also nice to eliminate all the backdrive linkage for the ignition lockout and backup lights.

I also registered the trans with tremec and they sent me the black 5 spd shift knob. Overall, great experience.

7. larry_anthony

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the test drive. Email any time with questions. bcecchini66@hotmail.ca

9. larry_anthony

So far it’s been great for me as well. First time dialing in a bellhousing but was relatively easy. Used RobbMc offset dowels and worked great. I registered too and awaiting my knob.

Interesting on the driveshaft. Not complaining at all but seems like they could stock a standard length. I’m sure they want it exact though.

I found my backup lights still hooked up on the steering column but not working. Car was originally an auto. Should be easy to wire them. Plan on using the neutral switch as well.

10. larry_anthony