spindle size

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by hogg, Oct 8, 2018.

1. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

looking for dia. of front axel were outer and inter bearing race go . what is the differance in the axels 1970 and the 1981 or is it just the outer bearing out side dia. that is different

2. Zulu28

Zulu28 Veteran Member

It's the outer that's different, 1979 - 1981 use .844" ID, maybe 1978 as well, not sure about that.
    1970 - 1977/78 used .750" ID outer bearing.

3. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

thanks just what I needed,

4. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I always do it the old fashioned way. I take out the old bearing and seal and buy new ones with the same numbers. If I don't have the numbers, they make micrometers to measure what I need. That way I don't have to depend on somebody's computer parts list and hope it is right.

I had that situation just a couple of weeks ago. My Son drove across the country with his truck and car trailer. When he loaded a car here, one of the wheel bearings on the trailer didn't sound right. He pulled it apart and found a bad bearing. It was Sunday afternoon and he wanted to be on the road early Monday morning. We took the old bearing and seals to Oreilly auto. Some of the parts had numbers and some of them didn't. Trailers aren't in the computer to look up parts, but their parts guy knew his stuff. He pulled out his micometer and measured each part and got us all the right parts. The truck and trailer hit the road on time Monday morning and comfortably made the 1300 mile journey to my Son's home.

We didn't need a computer to fix it.