Spray bomb: to use or not to use......

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by jesters79, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jesters79

jesters79 New Member

I was wanting some opinions from you guys. There is a lot of spray can products out there as far as paint goes and I was wanting to see if anyone has been using this stuff. I know you can achieve great looking results for stuff like interior and under the hood details but what about the longevity of the product. I painted cars for about 13 years 3 of which was in a high end Mopar(don't hurt me) restoration shop. On those mopars we used a lot of spray can paint and we also used enamels w/out catalyst, which in my opinion is what really separates the spray can from the spray gun. Has anyone used spray cans to paint,say, your firewall, core support, underhood, something like that and it appears to have withstood the test of time?
    Jesse

2. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you consider how much time your finished car will spend time outside either driving or sitting, and the amount if time that the engine will be exposed to the elements, then only you can answer your own question.

There are many good quality products out there these days that do well in specific areas like the interior and will last many years. There are also very good spray can enamels that are for the chassis and engine use and hold up fairly well for the heat and UV exposure but overall durability is less than a decent quality catalyzed enamel or urethane.

I have seen many quality spray can restorations done and some have been done so well that it is tough to notice a difference. Part of the longevity and durability that some owners experience are due to the proper selection of detail products that don't chemically attack the spray can finishes.

In the situation of the interior paints, you will not go wrong with SEM products.

3. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I couldnt agree more with what kamikaze has said, if you want to have a leaky engine and want to clean it with engine brite and harsh chemicals spraybombs just wont hold up, if you keep it clean and just use some soap and water and detail often they will last. If you have the oppertunity to use a gun for all the small parts and its in your budget theres no question about it (do it).The most of us dont have the resources to do it with a gun so the spraybomb comes out. Theres a million different ways to paint but time and money usually prevail.

4. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

since you have a gun and know how to use it. . ha ha. . .I would choose the best finish available to me. With that said if it came in a laquer bomb then sobeit few if any single stage products, yes even the beloved POR 15 can hold up to the qualities of a good, catylized urethane finish. This is my opinion but I would like to debate if anybody has the opposite opinion.

Brent

5. Peter Wilson

Peter Wilson Veteran Member

yes...

I restored an original 427 Mercury Comet and the firewall and undercarriage were originally semi-gloss black , I work for a Caterpillar dealer and we have a spray bomb designed for heavy equipment . Cat medium gloss black , Cat part # 4C-4198 and it is perfect for most semi gloss applications . Iam presently doing the subframe and firewall on my '71 Z/28 and I bought 8 cans for this . I do find that it stays slightly tacky for a couple days . not tacky that dust or fingerprints would stick to it , but just slightly tacky to the feel but after a couple days thats gone . this paint also looks quite glossy for about a day and a half and then starts to " dull " down , after 2 or 3 days to the semi gloss stage . this paint is very durable ,but it will chip if hit , this paint also touchs up and blends real good with a little shot from the can . The paint is also available in gallons for your spray gun if you want to spray bigger areas