SSD's have gotten INSANE!

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by ProStreet383, Nov 8, 2015.

1. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Intel 750 pcie 400GB drive just installed yesterday. Fastest drive on the market today and it is top notch intel quality and incorporates much of intels enterprise technology from there enterprise drives.

[​IMG]

Also installed a new GTX980 TI with water cooling. If anybody is in need of a great graphics card I will be putting my R9 290X up for sale soon. It has a EK water block on it but I also have the stock cooler for it because I know most people don't have water cooled rigs.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I installed SSDs in 3 of my computers recently. The price is now so reasonable that it makes sense. The performance is great, but the gains you get depend on how you use your computer.
    I installed one on my Wife's laptop. It gets shut down once a day or more, so the gains there are great. Boot up and shutdown are really fast, and loading applications after startup is fast too. It behaves like a new machine on steroids.
    I also put them into 2 of our desktops. The desktops get totally different use. We leave them running 24/7, so there is no gain from boot up and shut down. Also, there is enough RAM in them to hold the commonly used programs, so those applications remain in RAM almost all the time so I don't often have to load an application from the drive. With this kind of use, the computer gains very little performance.

Right now I'm running 1 Samsung and 2 Sandisk drives, and so far can say nothing bad about any of them.

3. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Yup you summed it up pretty well. I do a lot of 4k video editing and a lot of 1440p fps gaming so ssd's are fantastic in my case. I tease the guys in my clan every time a new map loads. As soon as I am in I start heckling them to hurry it up already lol. I have gotten a few of them to make the switch.

Many people will look at my benchmark and not even realize what the numbers are. Standard hard drive reads around 60 to 120 MB/s. This new SSD reads at 2.35GB/s!!!!! And write at just over 1 GB/s! That is nuts!

4. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I get to buying a new(er) laptop for my storm chasing stuff, I'll definitely be going SSD. I'll be doing a good deal of photo/video editing and running radar software. It's incredible what they can do now. My best friend made the switch to an SSD about this time last year and he said the difference is unreal.