Standard TPI vs. LT1

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Ceth, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Ceth

Ceth Veteran Member

I am reading all on FI from these forums and other things, and I am wondering whats everyone opinions on FI for ours cars. The LSx style is waaay too expensive and a pain so ive been reading on the late 3rd gen style of TPI and the LT1/4 style. Which does everyone think is better?

I read ultim8's write up on TPI he did and its very interesting. Is the Lt-1 worth it, or is a roller cam 3rd gen TPI set up any good? It seems like I can get a roller cammed 350 block and use an earlier style TPI set up and convert it to the MAP sensor type and use early small block heads and make some good HP. I dont know, is the lt1/4 style TPI any better? My concern is for upgradeability. They make superchargers for both styles, and I am wondering if the heads on lt1/lt4 engines are going to be good enough to make good HP and compete with a good set of AFR heads you can get for a normal small block. How fast do you think you can get an lt1 to? I imagine with a good cam, ported alum. corvette heads ( i think theyre aluminum ), and free flowing dual cats and good intake you can get some decent hp. And with some money you can build up an LT1, stroke it out, get some higher ratio rockers and ever supercharge it right?

Im just waiting on a deal on a lt1/t56 to fall in to my lap one day for a swap, some junked up hit 96 camaro or something.

2. patgizz

patgizz Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

you can get AFR heads for LT1's as well.

i personally would go with the LT1, the TPI has now not been in use for 14 years, and it's getting harder to find the performance parts for the intake that once were all over. add into that you've got the plenum, runners, and lower intake and you have to buy 3 separate things for a new intake, whereas with the LT1 you buy an intake and you're done for the price of just the TPI base.

3. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

The TPI, in my book, is a PITA. I just got done doing a 408 with TPI for a truck. If you want to make a lot of low end torque it's an option. If you want to make low end torque and high RPM horsepower buy a Holley Stealth Ram.

What REALLY turned my crank on the TPI setup is what a fooking engineering disaster it is to assemble it to the motor without leaks and without stripping any fasteners. That setup is why they invented helicoils.

With that said though the engine really does perform well in the truck and the customer is very happy. I'd call it plenty peppy but not fast.

This truck also had the L98 Corvette heads. We ported them but they still are not that great a head.

I think you'd be wise to go the Vortec route if you want to try and do it low cost. For $1000 bucks you can get very, very good aftermarket heads.

4. patgizz

rick, you like those runner bolts that go in from the backside?

5. Ceth

Ceth Veteran Member

Im just wondering what has more potential. It seems like the Lt1 is pretty good stock, but I mean how much HP can you really get if you put a little money into it? The LSx style is just waaaay too expensive and a pain in the ass to put in from what ive read, I dont think id ever be capable of dropping one in even if i had the money.

I am just waiting to find a crashed 95 camaro someone is selling and save it and dump it in. When I get some more money I could rebuild the block, get some better heads for it ( either corvette alum heads or ive seen some aftermarket ), headers, etc etc. Does anyone think it has some pretty good potential or not? I use my camaro as a daily driver and im sick of the ~10mpg.

6. patgizz

the LT1's have potential out the wazoo.

there are enough 11 and low 12 second impala SS and caprices running around out there to prove that, if they can make those monsters go it can certainly make your camaro go.

7. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

That is such a "mother you know what", "stupid a$$", "son of a female puppy dog" idiotic setup I can't believe it.

Plus, come to find out, there are different gaskets for different years. I had no idea what year ours came off of but I do know if you have the wrong gaskets you have a huge leak. Chased that for about a week trying to figure it out.

Give me a stealth ram any day.

Ditto on the LT1, way better option. No contest in that regard.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  8. Lyger1983

Lyger1983 Veteran Member

go with the LT1, a LT1 with just all the bolt ons can be a easy 12 second car.

9. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

dont mean to hijack the thread, but being I'm in the market for heads,sorta, will the LTI heads bolt upto a 400 block? Or did they change something with the cooling or something? Is there are carb intake for the LTI heads?

10. Lyger1983

Lyger1983 Veteran Member

LT1 heads are reverse cooling, u could have them reworked to run on a 400, but it wouldnt be worth the money.