Standard vs Deluxe seating

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 1977nova, Jun 11, 2019.

1. 1977nova

1977nova Member

I am looking for opinions on which seats are more comfortable. Or are the seats just different in appearances. Would even like opinions on the Trans Am horse collar and deluxe seats.

2. 1977nova

1977nova Member

Does anyone have an opinion on the subject?

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cloth seats are more comfortable than vinyl or fake cloth seats. When I ordered the new 77,78 and 80 Z28's I always went for the vinyl cause it's easy to fix and is always available. My 71 Z28 had cloth seats and there's a big diff between vinyl and cloth 1971-81 seats. If I was to do it over, I'd order cloth with the custom seats rather than the round high back Vega style seats. My 70 Z28 has custom cloth.

[​IMG]

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Cloth is nice. Mine has the nylon "Comfortweave" which is actually is a woven, breathable nylon. Pretty slick though compared to the cloth.
    The replacement Comfortweave is not woven, but instead a stamped-embossed sheet of nylon. Looks close, but doesn't breath. The machine that made the true Comfortweave broke down years ago.

5. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

the comfort weave is nicer , doesn't get as hot as vinyl seats in the summer . also depends if your staying original or not

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The bottom cushions are the same shape. It's only the back which changed.
    I've had Standard vinyl (78) and Deluxe cloth (80).
    The cloth breathes better and never feels hot like vinyl.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

With vinyl on hot humid summer days, I always got a heat rash on the back of my legs when wearing shorts. Vinyl sucks the big one.

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Cloth gets worn and can get stained over time. Guess it depends on how well you take care of your seats and how much you drive.

9. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

I hear ya. Down in here in Texas, you better have pants on or use a towel if you have vinyl seats. Also, the metal seat belt buckles get so hot you damn near need gloves to handle them.
    I've never had a car with side pipes, but I would guess you get all of that heat plus the opportunity to burn the sh*t out of your legs getting out of the car.

10. 1977nova

1977nova Member

Thank you for your input and opinions. My Nova has the stock bucket seats which have the same foam and frames as a Camaro standard seat. I am looking at doing some cloth covers, which will be in the stock style, not a perfect match. Since I am considering new seat buns as well, I would like to get the most comfortable stock style buckets. It appears by everyones comments is that the foam is not different in terms of comfort and that going cloth over vinyl is the way to go, which I agree. The black vinyl seats in my car made me not want to drive it as they are way too hot and stiff. Would anyone say that the deluxe Trans am seat foams are any improvement?