Starter issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Charger81, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Charger81

Charger81 New Member

Ok I have an 81 camaro z-28 I installed a new starter now for some reason it doesn't start everytime I turn the key. I tested voltage from battery reads same as battery voltage. Also tested with a helper voltage on key signal side only have half voltage? I removed the wire retested same way I have 12 volts but when hooked up on starter I only have half? I have replaced neutral safety switch and ignition switch no change any suggestion on what issue may be?

2. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

I would suspect the switch on the column is out of adjustment or worn out. You have a voltage drop on the switch line as you have measured it.

I am sure the other pros will chime in. Good luck.

3. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

I'd suggest measuring and posting battery voltage (12.x) and solenoid S-terminal to ground when the key is in the start position. Replacing random parts will just annoy you.

4. Charger81

Charger81 New Member

Is it possible I have a short in the ignition wire going to the starter since the voltage is different when hooked up vs. Not connected?

5. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

I'm assuming you're talking about the large pink wire connected to the "S" terminal? If you had a short, the voltage would not change at the starter terminal. The starter solenoid may be your problem, since you are getting nothing when you're in the crank mode. When you're in the crank mode, you should at least hear the solenoid click once to engage. If you do hear it click, then the problem is in the motor itself, or the battery cable that's connected to the solenoid. Now, the solenoid clicking does not necessarily mean that it's good, cause if the contacts inside the solenoid have gone bad, then the motor itself isn't getting a direct connection to the battery cable. So, if it clicks, and you're not getting close to 12 volts out of the lower solenoid terminal that actually connects to the motor, then the solenoid is the problem.

6. Charger81

Charger81 New Member

I can start it once but if I shut it off and restart it I get nothing no clicks just no sound at all. I'm gonna switch out the starter I have a spare.

7. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

I'm assuming that you're letting it get up to normal running temp before you shut it off? If that's the case, you might indeed have a short, but in the solenoid itself. When it heats up, the windings expand, and the short occurs. Regardless, the starter has to come out to replace the solenoid.

8. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

It is a switch line power problem but carry on.

9. Charger81

Charger81 New Member

10. Charger81

Charger81 New Member

Ok I'll try that thanks