Starter not making any noises now

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by NorthPark350, Jan 5, 2020.

1. NorthPark350

NorthPark350 New Member

Hey everyone, I’m new to the forums because I’m racking my brain with this problem.

im trying to start up a 1971 Camaro Rally Sport and I’m having issues with the ignition system. I have a new battery, new starter, and new neutral safety switch.

Yesterday when I installed the neutral safety switch the starter would make a grinding noise. I figured I would just need to shim it and it should crank right up. The sun was going down so I wrapped everything up and went back early this morning to shim it.

when I try to crank it there’s no sound whatsoever. The battery reads 12.26V, the grounds are good and the starter is good. What can be the issue here?

I can try exchanging the neutral safety switch for a new one but I don’t even know if that’s the issue - can anyone think of anything I should check or test?

many help is appreciated

2. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Check to see if you're getting 12 volts to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid when in the crank position. Let's start there and work our way back to the ignition switch or NSS switch.

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

^+1, you can bypass the neutral safety switch by jumping it with a wire to eliminate it from the equation.

4. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

I have the same thing going on with a 70. I got 3 new hy tq starters from ebay , none will work under 13 volts .whats up with this, ,, works with the old type starter . using a remote starter switch straight from battery.

5. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

How is your battery ground cable at the block?

6. Rdobbs1977

Rdobbs1977 Huge Guns N Roses Fan

Will throw this out there: There's two ways to shim a starter, one from the outside and one from the inside. My guess is you shimmed it from the outside. They make shims for the inside so the starter nose can make the right contact it needs with flex plate/fiywheel. Build a 383 a few years ago and put a mini high torque starter on it. Wound up having to put a shim ring on the inside of starter to get that right starter teeth to fly/flex teeth connection.