Starter Woes

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by vegas1974z28, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:45 AM.

1. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    I have had starter issues for probably 10 years..... I get starter kickback and have broken starters and flexplates. I am in need of some nastyz help.......
    Assuming the starter is aligned properly ...... What could be the cause of this? I'm at my wits end.....

Car has dual batteries
    I can spin it before I hit the ignition and still get kickback
    timing at 36 locked (has a msd box with start retard)

HELP.

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    Got me, kickback with ignition off. Do you have the cam retarded from C/L? On the old gas powered 2 1/2 & 5 ton Army trucks, we hit the starter before turning ignition on because they were bad to hydro lock from gasoline running through the carburetor.

3. vegas1974z28

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    SEEEEEE I swear it gets hydro locked......After sitting for an hour or so, it kicks back......when hot USUALLY not.

1980RS likes this.
  4. 80NastyZ

80NastyZ Veteran Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Poconos P.A.
    Any way you could drop in a simple HEI distributor to rule out the ignition system ? If it's predictable that should rule out ignition. Not saying race with it in there , just use to test.

Last one I fought turned out to be an older Crane box with a start retard that wasn't doing what it was supposed to . Same deal as yours , BBC, locked @ 38* , Good starter , Billet flexplate , but there was no rhyme of reason to the kickback. Removed the locked out distributor , installed an HEI unit locked at the same timing and no more kickback.

Just a thought .

TOM

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    Here is what I did when having starter troubles. I ordered a new PM starter aka: vortec from DB Electrical, then I got the new flat flexplate from PRW and it solved all my problems.

6. vegas1974z28

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    Well i'm halfway there .......saturday installed a NEW PRW flexplate........maybe I should bite the bullet and get a new starter too....Maybe all the kickbacks have killed that starter....

7. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    Maybe the start retard isn't working?

8. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That sucks Mattie !!!!

Can't believe you're still having starter issues , I remember a few years ago when I met up with you at a PSCA race at Fontana and you were having starter problems

Wasn't it that time the starter was dragging not turning the motor over fast enough ???

9. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Central NJ
    Pull the plugs after a hot soak. Crank it and see if any coolant comes out of the holes.

muscl car likes this.
  10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member