Steel L88?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Scott Sievers, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

I found a 4 inch fiberglass L88 style scoop... but I don't want to go that route... I am looking for a 4 to 6 inch steel L88 style scoop, so I can fabricate the back of it in and use the flopper door actuator to make it functional on a steel hood. I have heard all the reasons I dont need to use the L88 scoop, why they dont work well, and whats wrong with the fiberglass on a steel hood? basically because its what I want to work with. I will have a 177 blown 434 under it, I need the clearance to keep it covered and that is teh style I LIKE a lot... 32 years ago, I had a 70 Z/28 with the L88 hood on it, and I loved the way it looked on that car. I set a buddies L88 style on my 80 Z, and.. yeah, it brought back a LOT of memories and dreams... since this car is all about dreams..... I want that look again, but no one offers steel... I would buy an entire hood and cut it out, but none of them offered on steel hoods are tall enough.. so i thought I would ask!!!! Thanks guys!

2. 75Motion

75Motion Veteran Member

I think thy make one for the 69 camaro if you want to cut and re weld.
    Classic #1660501

3. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

I saw that, and it is an option I am already considering. A few days of emails and looking and I am disgruntled... I might have to go with fiberglass and deal with it until I can get a steel one welded up. I can't even find one thats carbon fiber... a few of the fiberglass ones have a ... SHORT version??? of the L88? it looks to me like they start further back on the hood... I want the long version, which.. looks like its 150+ more than the other versions.... but, if your only hoping to do it once...

4. 75Motion

75Motion Veteran Member

I have thought of fabricating one from steel to look like the original fiberglass ones used on the Motion Camaros. I'm sure it can be done.