Steering Column Replacement

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by camaroz22, Nov 12, 2019.

1. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

Will start a thread on this car soon, I'm running into things that I don't know the best way to proceed. Little background, "72" auto, non tilt....Switching to Muncie and tilt column. In the pic's the non -tilt is closest. Ing. switch and back-drive linkage switches have different prongs. (not positive what year tilt is out of E-BAY is for automatic) Will swap both switches from non-tilt so plugs in car will work. I bought the neutral safety switch 2 prong and installed it on clutch pedal. Since I have an automatic tilt column no backdrive linkage will be utilized. If I have to turn base of column manually for the back-up lights to work that will be fine. Need to know where to wire in neutral safety switch. Another potential problem, these columns are laying in identical positions and the groove for the bolt to steering arm is on top of the tilt and on the side of the non-tilt column. The turn signal harness is also different does anyone know if it will transfer to the tilt. If I'm going about this all wrong and there is a better way I would appreciate the help. IMG_0940.JPG IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0940.JPG IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0935.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Here is some info on the differences between a Nova tilt column and standard column.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums/72157653943859806

Basically the ignition switch plugs unplugs out of the standard column and then you rotate it 180 degree's and it will plug into the tilt column switch. If you look at the switch, one when turning the key to the run and start position pushes the rod forward towards the firewall while the other switch works the opposite way.

Chances are you will need to get a safety switch that mounts under the dash and attached to the clutch pedal arm. The two purple wires from the old safety switch "should" be able to reach the new switch location but if not make a good quality extension of the wiring.

With no backdrive linkage you may be able to wire up and fabricate some type of switch to where when the transmission is in reverse, the lights can be turned on. Here again, you can extend the original wiring to the new switch location.

On the turn signal harmonica connector, if the different wires are in different positions, you may be able to repin the wire and connector into the proper spots. Do not concern yourself so much with the color of the wires on the column side as these may be different or the same but without testing you may find out the layout is different between the two. A good ohm meter could help with figuring the wiring out if needed.

Jim

3. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

4. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

Thanks for the reply Jim, I pulled the receipt from E-Bay and it was sold to me for a second gen Camaro. Bought it a couple years ago, looks like I've been had again. Good eye telling that from pic's I posted. I've already installed the neutral safety switch on clutch pedal. With the slot in the wrong position on the end that connects to the steering shaft , won't that be an issue getting the steering wheel straight when aligning front end.

5. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

Think I misunderstood you, are you saying the tilt column I have is for a Nova?
    I will ck rod movement direction on ing. switch tomorrow. Thanks!

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

I did the swap last winter. The ignition switches are different between the two (electrical switch). When the ignition locks cylinder is turned the rod that connects to the ignition switch moves in the opposite direction on the tilt column. The electrical plug is the same for both. You can get a new switch for the tilt column but make sure it specifies tilt column. Hope this helps.

7. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

I doubt the columns you have are for a Nova and I was just trying to show how the switches on mine compare to each other. GM used a lot of the same parts or designs from one model to another to where if you become real familiar with let's say Camaro parts from a certain era, those parts could be the same on the Impala line or whatever from that same era.

I know I bought column's through the years and sometimes I wonder what they actually did come out of originally.

Jim

8. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

I think the first thing I have to do is identify what column I have. I found the list of year pacific column serial #'s in another thread. Look for stamped #'s tomorrow. You were right about the rod travel direction on ing. switch, checked it out today as well as the wire plug, just swap ends. From the research I've done it should fit as long as it's the spline type (which it is) and not the "D" type which started 78-79. I just have to figure out why the thru bolt slot on shaft is about 30 degrees off from the original. There is some steering wheel adjustment at the horn connection, maybe that would make the difference. Rebuilding the shaft right now. Thanks for the help guys!

9. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

Did you install a column from your exact year model?

10. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

There are no numbers stamped on the column for identification. From the factory there was an orange sticker near the bottom of the column with the part number in black numbers. Usually those stickers are long gone.

The column I bought off eBay was for a 73 Camaro. Mine is a 70.