Steering rebuild

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Printstron, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Printstron

Printstron Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I’m looking to tighten up the front end. Steering feels a bit sloppy to me. I haven’t touched any of the steering components up front. Is there and advantage to changing out all of the linkage, does it it all wear? Or should I be looking at only the tie rod ends and sleeves? I am hearing a whine when turning the wheel also. I haven’t investigated to see if its the steering box or the pump yet.

I have already changed out the front/rear shocks (Koni), front/rear springs (Hotchkis lowering), UCAs (Global West), used Delrin bushings, body bushings, and added G-Braces. I plan on blasting and reusing the stock front and rear sway bars.

Have never played around with any of the steering components on any of my cars so this will be a first. I see many steering boxes out there. What should I be looking for? This is a street application, but of course want to have fun with it as well. Budget is middle of the road. I’m not looking for budget parts but am also not building a pro-touring circuit car.

Thanks

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lots of threads here, where members have swapped out the rag joint for a u joint type of setup with great results, and plenty of talk about the better steering boxes 670 series and so on, do a search and see if you can find the threads.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Start by inspecting all the moving parts under there. That is what a good alignment shop does before attempting to align a front end. Determine what is worn and replace those parts.

4. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NazstyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

all the steering components do wear except for the Pitman arm.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Also check the steering box.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

I did the steering box, ball joints tie rod ends and all the linkage under my 81. Huge difference in feel and tightness. For the relatively low cost, it is worth doing to get back the new(er) car feel and peace of mind.

7. Printstron

I see many steering boxes out there but don’t know what I’m looking for. Any recommendations on the steering box? Stock rebuild/reman? Or are the upgraded versions vastly superior? Same for the linkage any reason to go with a Hotchkis or Classic Works over a stock replacement?

Also having second thoughts on reusing my stock sway bars, is there a real improvement for cruising and light fun on the upgraded sway bars?

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

People have lots of horror stories regarding steering boxes, but I just went with a rebuild for a 92 IROC. I may be out on the year, but it was definitely a 3rd gen IROC box. My 81 already had metric fittings, so the lines went on and it bolted in the car no problem. It steers quicker than the stock 81 Z box. And does not leak... You could probably spend way more money on a box and not notice much if any difference over a good rebuild from a parts store.
    As for the sway bars, I would save your money and put it somewhere else. My stock ones keep the car flat and I drive fairly hard. Autocross guys definitely need heavier ones though.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I had a pricey Hotchkis steering box and noticed nothing....As for steering linkage...its best to replace it all as a set. I would avoid the U-joint...The rag joint actually helps with vibration/tranmit of noise from the steering. There are U-joints that have dampers (I have one) but they are expensive.

10. Printstron

I just placed an order for a reman box from https://redheadsteeringgears.com/. It should be here in a few days. Ill update how it does, but first I end to order a new rag joint. Since Ill be in there I figured I should change it out as well. Any tips are welcomed.