Sticky lifter?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by ULTM8Z, Sep 19, 2019.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I got my ZZ4 in (I think it was) 1999, so the engine is ~20 years old. Probably ~50k miles for the amount of mileage I've been putting on it (~2500/year).

Lately when the car sits for a week or more, one of the lifters starts clacking upon start up for about 20-30 seconds before finally settling down.

The engine has had nothing but Mobile 1 synthetic in it from the get-go. Is there some additive you guys would recommend to resolve this?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I rarely use any oil or gas additives because most of them tend to be useless. Clean oil and gas are usually all the engine needs.
    The only additive I've ever added to the oil was in engines with flat tappet cams driven in winter where lots of condensation gets into the oil from short trips that don't warm the engine fully.
    In cold weather, the moisture in the oil tends to kill the ability of the detergents in the oil to keep the lifters moving freely. Once in a while I would have a noisy lifter at startup. When that happened, I would add a can of Stewart Warner CD2 oil detergent. (They no longer make it.)

In your climate, that isn't an issue. On your engine I would more suspect that you are experiencing a bit of cam lobe wear. If it wears just slightly, it takes a few seconds longer to pump up than the other lifters. If that is the case, it isn't a big cause of worry unless it continues. The Mobil 1 just might lube well enough that additional wear might not happen.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

If it is some kind of goo or dirt slowing a lifter from pumping up, get the engine warm and try adding a quart of trans fluid and run it for 5 minutes or so. Don't run above idle. Lots of detergent in that stuff, and it will thin out the oil and maybe get into your sticky lifter better. Change oil and filter and see if it got better.

If not, it's probably a bit worn like Gary said.

Trans fluid can't possibly be worse than some of the rip-off potions out there. I used it regularly in many older engines, never did any harm.

cadillac_al likes this.
  4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^^ Trans fluid "flush" has been a old school remedy for noisy lifters for as long as I can remember.

5. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Does GM still make EOS? That stuff works pretty good on engines that rattle a bit.

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I was thinking about a little marvel mystery oil.

I started up the car today (last time I drove it was Monday afternoon). Quiet as a mouse.

Like I said, it's typcally if it's been sitting for more than a week...

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My new crate engine with LS7 lifters have always been a bit noisy on start up, just doesn't bother me. I did use Marvel Mystery oil in an old 307 years ago, worked well in cleaning out the sludge. YMMV

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

GM still sells EOS which is meant for lifters and breakin back in the old days but still should work today for a noisy lifter.