Sticky Thread for wheel and tire combos

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by jeduffey, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

I’ve done tons of searching but I’m still looking for pics and details of anyone running a 295/18 on the rear of a 2nd gen, stock tubs. I’ve read about guys running a 275 with a backspacing of 5.75”, but would like to go with the 295 if it will fit. Some of the wheel manufacturers are suggesting the backspacing to be 6.2”. These will be run with wilwoods and 14” rotors. Thoughts???

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I fitted 295/40/18 with a 10" rim.
    But Rolled the lip, and seat belt hump flattened initially due to the 325/50/15 tires originally fitted, not sure I had to beat the seat belt hump as much as I did for the 295 18's.

Also, I did tuck the front spring perches, and rear frame eyelets over to gain a little more clearance for the 325's. Have 1.6" clearance from spring to tire now with the 295.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Ls3rs likes this.
  3. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

Do you know what your backspacing ended up being? I’d love to see pics if you care to share some!

4. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

Holy smokes! That thing is gorgeous!! Those wheels fit in there perfect. What’s the specs on the front wheels? I’ll post mine when I get it back from paint

5. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What are you running for rear brakes? Are you running an e- brake?

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Used a 4 piston Wilwood setup with internal parking brake. Wilwood kit #140-7139, rotors changed to 160-7508 to fit the required offset.

I converted my 12 bolt axle and housing ends to the Big Ford 3.15, all internal brake parts are over the counter Ford Explorer so easy to service.

Final mounting "face to face" measurements come in @ 60.400.(close to OEM 8.5 10 bolt) No interference with the Lokar parking brake cables, and shocks in their original location.

7. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok.....so just so Ls3rs understands .you fit that wheel and tire combo with:

A different rear end
    Different brakes
    Different parking brake set up
    Different rotors.

Ls3rs there are lots of ways to get big tires and wheels to fit. When people post up their combos you really need to understand what their complete set up is.....

If you are running stock suspension then 295 is an awfully tight fit as you get really close to the springs and/or your tires get close to the fender lip. Also, if your rear end is not perfectly centered one side may fit but the other not.

I have done a ton of research and my conclusion is a 275/40/18 is the biggest size you can be really sure fits (9.5" wheel). A 285 may fit with really rolled fenders.....5.5" BS seems to be ideal but I am going with the 5.75". If they don't hit the e brake or springs that will be great, if they do I will put a 1/4" spacer in.

The short story is when people say they can fit a 295 or 305 etc, find out everything they modified or changed to make it work,...also, buy a fitting tool. I bought a really nice steel one for $100. It is in my thread. When you add up the cost of wheels and tires it is basically an extra $25 per wheel to be able to measure and be sure you have it right.

Good luck

Ls3rs likes this.
  8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Good points 8pack, I have added in some additional notes in my posts (342 & 346) in the hope in helps out and does not send anyone in the wrong direction.

9. Ls3rs

Ls3rs New Member

Thanks for all of the insight! I will be using Wilwood kit 140-10943 with the integral parking brake. I don’t have any cable routing figured out yet. (Might try to utilize the handbrake as my car has a 5th gen console). It has the stock 10-bolt rear with the 2G suspension kit from Custom Works. I am not sure if this suspension ends up being in same location at stock as it was on the car when I got it. I will need to take some measurements when I get the car back from the paint shop. Do you have a link to the thread you are talking about that shows the tool you used to measure? $100 seems like a worthy investment. Thanks again

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have heard of people ordering a different BS for the left than the right side rears due to the offset of the rear to one side. Careful measuring when trying to fit the most tire possible under there.