Stock 1981 Z28 Carb Noise

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by La.Z8, Nov 30, 2019.

1. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I recently picked up a pretty nice bone stock 81 Z28. It still has the Air pump, catalytic convertor, etc. The Camaro has a noise from the Carb, its like a ticking sound. I remember vaguely, but it`s been a while since I`ve been around this era of GM stock gas engines, is that a normal sound? I`m aware that this model is the 1st to have the fuel and ignition somewhat computer controlled. I really don`t want to modify the car as it`s only got 81K on the clock. Normally years ago I would have trashed the intake/carb combo and just move on. But now I would rather keep it original. Thoughts ?? Thanks Dale

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does it have an electrical connection on it (closed loop is what the info on autozone says for stock carb, 02 sensor feedback), it is a solenoid, not sure what it does but could you put your finger on the electrical connection and see if you can feel anything that lines up with the ticking noise. I seem to recal my 1982 S-10 with the 2.8 V6 had a similar carb with one connection on it and I believe I recall it ticking also. I thought of that immediately when I read your post.

3. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

That is a mixture control solenoid. The sound is the solenoid moving the metering rods in the jets to control air fuel ratio.
    The sound is normal.

4. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Grzewnicki, I actually haven`t yet taken the air cleaner assembly off to check, but will. I`ve been occupied with travel/work and the holidays. Vettenick, now that you mention it I recall a friend had an early 80`s Silverado that had the same carb sound. Still weird though. Thanks for the replies !!

5. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

This ^

I have an 81 also.

RickM