Stock 79 Z28 Engine Mods

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by queue, Aug 7, 2019.

1. queue

queue New Member

I have a stock 79 Z28 and am considering some engine mods. I would like to limit the modifications to heads, cam and intake while maintaining the stock hood clearance. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Hello! Im not an expert and far from it. You have members in the forum who will help you with your question. I will share my experience with you and maybe that can help. I also have a 79 z28 white but with T-tops. If your like me and looking for a mild street performance machine and keep the old school engine look with hood clearance then I suggest a low rise intake like the performer from edelbrock 2101 for example (the one I have and it looks stock). I read that Vortec heads are a good and not expensive improvement and you can find used ones for a great price. As far as cam goes, im not an expert. Mine is not original, its a performance cam but I don't know which one it is. I have been told by a few gearheads that its not stock by the sound it makes. Hope it helps, surely other members will comment shortly. Have fun working on your engine pal!

3. Francesco

Francesco Veteran Member

Do you still have stock headers on the engine? If you do, then it would be better to change them for long tube headers. Youll get more mid range to top end power. It will help a lot for performance.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Just what exactly what you want to do with the car? You could start with a Eldelbrock Performer .Headers with 2 1/4 exhaust and a set of mufflers.There is an article at this site.To make your hood scoop functional. Then as you can afford it a good set of aluminum cylinder heads and a hydraulic cam and kit. With an MSD type box . Then have it tuned to up. I have a 1979 Z-28 and this is the way I started .Mine more extreme now. Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Edelbrock, TrickFlow, and others sell tested and proven kits, all you need to add is headers. The heads, cam, and intake are all matched for each other. Eddy costs a bit more but you get what you pay for. IMHO

6. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

My first new car was a dark Carmine metallic, black vinyl interior 4 speed 3.73 posi 1979 Z28. At 7K miles I decided it was just too slow and didn't care about warranty. So obviously this will be dated but I installed a GM 350/350hp hydraulic cam, "186" casting 2.02" intake, 1.60" exhaust valves heads milled to 63cc, Edelbrock Street Master 2 intake, recurved the stock HEI distributor, reworked the stock quadrajet carb, stock exhaust manifolds and a cat delete. Ran great, got better gas mileage and was much more fun to drive. In today's world if your short block is sound, a set of aluminum 180cc intake, 64cc combustion chamber heads, a Holley 300-36 intake with a 650 to 780 vacuum secondary carb, headers, a good dual exhaust with a cross over would make a great running car.

7. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

I forgot to add a Lunati Voodoo cam and lifter kit, either the 10120701K or 10120702K. I current run the Lunati 10120703K in my 71Z28.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Something we have all done. What’s the budget? Vortec heads are a good option. If cash allows I would look for better heads.

9. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

A mild build don’t need headers. A cam and head refresh and off you go. Just for more scoot I’d keep it real simple. My first mod to my 81 was putting a 327/350hp cam in and swapping intake (performer rpm)with a Holley 650. Car was plenty quick, I could pass my buddies 5.0 mustangs back in 90s.