Stock hood? 70 unique?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by badazz81z28, Oct 17, 2015.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I put my hood back on and it's not fitting well. I can't seems to get a decent gap from the front of the hood to the header panel. The direct center of the hood nose to header panel transition is good, but comes up as you go out and then back. Is the 70 hood unique and is there a way to tell if I have Chinese junk?

2. badazz81z28

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You can bend those nose pieces by leaning on them,or pulling on them.
    They get twisted and moved over time,especially when theyre off car for a little while.

4. Ghostof76

Ghostof76 Veteran Member

Devonshire N.Wilmington,De. Hot Rods to Hell (East
    Chip Foose does that all the time.

5. badazz81z28

It's like that on both sides symmetrically. I don't think its a bent metal issue. Are you saying massage the header panel? I think it was like that before I took the car apart but was not really zoned in on it

6. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd try a straight edge along the hood and the nose to see if anything obvious jumps out.

7. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

THe nose may have droped a little, place a board accross under the nose and with a jack put pressure on it and see if it going to make a difference. careful, carefull, if so you may have to losen thr bolts a litle

8. badazz81z28

Guys. I don't want to " make it work" . How can I tell if I have an OEM hood? My other header is exactly the same.

9. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

badazz,

I think what they may be telling you is what you don't want to or can't hear. . . .it ALWAYS takes work to make stuff fit and line up.

NO, to my knowledge, there is no special 1970 hood. I have a '70 with a '73 header panel, unknown valance and who knows what year hood and fenders. All parts are GM and despite a lot of work, it does not line up perfect. BUT it likely is MUCH better than from the factory.

The problem you show in your pictures is minor. I have the EXACT OPPOSITE problem in the exact same place. . . header higher than hood. You will patiently need to tweak, bend, hammer, porta power the problem away. Buying a new hood and a new header may just yield worse problems!

Rather than let the post go quiet because you kinda, in my view, got a bit snippy with "I don't just want to make it work" I tired to lay it out. You ALWAYS have to make it work. It is a pain in the azz to get something even in a best fit situation. If the last car you restored was different and much easier, count your blessings.

Hope that helps without me looking like an a$$hole as that was not my intention!

Instead of worrying about advice on the hood, ask for advice on how to get what you have to line up better. . . .never perfect. . . .just better!

Good luck, you can do it!
    Brent

10. badazz81z28

Brent, the focus of the question was lost. I'm just wondering if my hood is OEM or not. This will assist in the decision of what I do. There's a big difference between getting things to line up versus the parts just not being right. I have messed with the panels for hours, something isn't right in my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015