Stock tank modification for EFI...

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Ca-ma-ro, May 2, 2009.

1. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Interesting thread, Any other members perfrom the same procedures? How are they holding up?

2. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

No I do not think the fuel pump would cause the solder to break. If it was a concern, you could reenforce that area with jb weld or B-1/2 sealent. Let's say that it did, you will just have a small hole at the top of the tank where very little gas is going to be able to get to.
    ______
    The electrical connector is submerged in fuel, as is all other in tank fuel pumps. I don't see any issues with this as the chance of arcing is low. You could use that B-1/2 sealent to cover the connector once installed.
    _____
    B-1/2 sealent is an aircraft grade fuel tank sealent commonly used to seal panels and fuel tanks on civilian and military aircraft. Aircraft spruce sells it.

3. JJFarmer

JJFarmer Veteran Member

4. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

JJ- That is a smart way of doing it!

5. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

I figured i would add mine to the sticky. Way easy to do. I got a kit from Tanks Inc. It wasnt a I got money issue more than a it was just easy to click pay now.

I got this pick up with a Walbro 255 for $235. They have a 400 lph pump for $295.
    [​IMG]

Then grabbed this nice littler recessed pocket that is laser cut to fit the pump.
    [​IMG]

I got the roll over vent because its cheap and i needed one. Why not get one that fits the left over hole in the pickup?
    [​IMG]

I took the sending unit out of my stock tank a year ago and let the fumes vent as the may. The tank was mostly empty so I dumped it and filled it will a degreaser and water. Then I said a small prayer and began to cut.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gravy
    [​IMG]

After this I dumped the water and wiped out real good. Here is where my problems started. I had bent up some sheet metal that was like expaned steel but with .080" holes. Nice for a baffle I thought. During welding I left my helmet in the car so I tried to weld by brale. No luck! Using the gun to hide the light caused me to burn right through the tank. Dumb SOB! I hate myself sometimes. I was reminiscing during the hole cutting. There a small dent in the tank from the day I got the car 15+ years ago and I was thinking I wouldnt fix it and leave it as a reminder of the day I got my car and towed it over a cylinder block. But it wasnt to be. So I got a new one from Rock Auto for about $100 shipped to my door in three days. Good times!

Where was I? Oh yeah! Making holes! This time I went straight for the plasma cutter and had it over in seconds. I cant beleive I forgot to snap pics of the welds but it was bad. It was brutal. I got lazt and didnt dress the inside of the tank. I wish I had. The galvanizing on the inside of tha tank screwed my welds up so bad I am embarrassed of them. I luckily had two sticks of brazing rod and went over the MIG welds with braze to make sure it was sealed. The galvanizing cause so many pops and holes it was a joke to look at. I wish I had a pic.

Here is my pump fully assembled with the pick up cut to length. I like that the return flows straight toward the pick up. This alone with the pan should keep it from starving with low fuel in the tank. The slope of the tank also feeds to the pan.
    [​IMG]

Here she is all buttoned up. Can you tell I havent brazed since high school welding? But I feel it is sealed totally now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So for a total of about $400 I have a new EFI tank for a late second gen. It can support over 500 HP without trouble. I can add another pump or upgrade to a larger pump or pair two together in the sending unit. If I went back to a carb simply pulling the pump out and changing it is easy with the screws. Which all have orings BTW.

For those who may wonder about the quality of the cheapest tank I could find. This is the two cutouts I had. The vent on the stock tank had a dish over it to keep fuel from sloshing into it. The new on is a brazed tube. For $100 I was cool with it.
    [​IMG]

6. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

Nomad, what brand CNC is the coolant tank for? I see your fuel pump sitting on a new coolant.

7. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

WOW good eye! We have Mori Sekki's (sp?), Haas, Brother and a few others that are custom rebuilt by our guys. The tank in question is a new one going on a production line. I think that will be a Brother. Not sure.

8. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

I worked for a CNC company for 20 years Mori Seiki was our biggest competitor.

9. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

Ahh. Not much in the pic to go off from. We have about five of them lined up waiting for a new line going in. There are 7 companies owned by the guy who owns my shop. All right here in the same town. So when they put in a new line, we get the CNC's first and work out all the bugs in the programs before sending them to the intended company to be used by operators that just load and unload them all day.