Street Tires for 2nd Gen Camaro - Recommendation

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by eeyankee, Jun 22, 2011.

1. eeyankee

eeyankee New Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I have a 1973 Z28 with M/T Sportsman Pro tires, L60-15. They are over 20 years old and need to be replaced. I am not looking to street race anymore but do more local driving.

I love the look of the M/T's, but now shifting my thought to radials as long as they still look aggressive vs the new cruiser look. Looking at Radial T/A's and M/T Sportsman S/T or even the ET's.

Any ideas on which tire maintains the best street race look and still hook up when I do decide to run it hard.

2. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Welcome to Nastyz eeyankee!

I couldn't get the BF TA's in one of the sizes I wanted (295 x 50 x15) so I went with the MT Sportman ST's. Great tire! Balanced easily, wearing very even, and these things hook like crazy for a street tire. I have had BF TA's in the past and they are a great tire too, but given my experience with the M/T's, I will buy them again. Price is good too.

3. airtimehocutt

airtimehocutt Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2010
    MS
    best handling 15" tire for street driving is the firestone indy 500. best ride and quiet (cobra cars use them for the road racing and i will be using them on my 71 corvette). street drag radials are best for drag racing but will not be very safe on the street due to the low thread depth. MT developed a tire that some of the cobra racers were gonna try but i have not followed up on it since a year ago. they were more expensive than the indy 500.

4. airtimehocutt

Aug 13, 2010
    MS
    bfg tires offer no grip, that is what i have on my vette now. do a little search. there are alot of threads about this on inter net. 17" tires offer a ton of very good tires, 15" tires do not.

5. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I think anything over 15" on the 2nd gen Camaro's dont look right. I have BFG Radial TA's on my Camaro which has a rebuilt 350 40 over and fresh 373 gears. Traction hasn't really been an issue. I do have a limited slip in it though.

I think the radial TA's are a good tire for the price. I'm running 245 60 15 on the back and 225 60 15 in the front.

6. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Man, you need to get out more. That's what I've got to say about that.

Look at this 17" ride Nitroexpress has....and then tell me again how you love your 15" wheels and tires. Sorry but I'm not buying into that

[​IMG]

7. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    Sry but I have to agree with Shakedown. Very nice early 2nd gen above - but it would look even better with some Z 15x7 5 spokes.

IMO, the late 70's cars with all the flares and graphics look better with 17's - just not on the early chrome bumper cars

Same reason I have 15x8 rallys on the vette

8. Shakedown

Shakedown Veteran Member

May 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I just like the original 5 spoke z28 wheels. We all have our own opinion though. I've seen plenty of 17s on 2nd gens on here. Sorry but they normally don't impress me at all. Ok let me put some chrome 17 inch wheels on my car.... harsher ride quality, a little better handling, more expensive tires, and heavier wheels.... Makes a lot of sense? The 15's look correct. White letters on 2nd gen tires look correct.

If that 2nd gen has a stock suspension, non lowered and thats how those wheels fit then ok yes they look good on it. I doubt he just threw those wheels on his car and called it a day though.

17's offer nothing that 15's dont. 17's may offer more drag radials. You can still find drag radials and slicks in 15's

We all build things our own way though

9. airtimehocutt

Aug 13, 2010
    MS
    white letter tires on 15" rims look good on muscle cars. kenny77 that car looks good with those wheels, but i think those wheels at 15" would look great also. i have bfg on my vette and not very impressed with them. of coarse it has a 489 stroker motor. but i was referring to road course traction more so than drag racing. nothing in the 15" range gonna be very good compared to newer 17" tires. it is gettin harder and harder to get 15" tires also. had to order some 295/50/15 indy 500 for my moms chevelle. tire shop only showed 5 in all the wharehouses. tirerack had the 255/60/15 indy 500 on back order till end of july a few weeks ago.

10. 455 Formula

455 Formula Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    Amen, brother..

I am old-school. Growing up, I was fascinated by the Riverside 500 cars my Dad pitted on and I still dig the open wheel - big rubber look. My car is set up more like a Herb Adams machine, with a few exceptions...

500 lb/inch springs, lowered 2.00" up front, urethane sway bar buhsings, PTFB sway bar brace, SPC adjustable UCA's with Howe Tall ball Joints and my patented bump stop mount, aluminum body, core support & bumper bracket bushings.

My custom alignment settings are 1/4°+ camber (LF), 1/4°- camber (RF), 3.5°+ caster (LF), 4.0°+ caster (RF) and .125" toe in. With me in the seat and a full load of fuel on board (140 lbs) both front wheels are right about 1/4°- camber equally. I feel as though this was a good compromise between tire wear and handling.

Rear suspension is stock with urethane bushings on stock (locking) shackles, urethane pads, lowered 1.00" oeverall and Gabriel Red Ryder's at all four corners. These stock shocks have turned out to be surprisingly stiff with the heavier front springs!!!!

For wheels I am using a set of 15 X 8 X 4" B/S Corvette Rallyes with 255/60R15's at all four corners. This time, I used a set of Cooper Cobras and I am very impressed with how well they balance and how nicely they both ride and handle. They are inexpensive and have the 'period correct' look that I like.

No modifications to the fenders, no rubbing and even with only 7/8" bumpstop clearance, I have never bottomed out, even over speed bumps.

[​IMG]

The car doesn't look that low, but I have to pick up on the fenders about 1/2" just to get a floor jack under the crossmember.

There is a sweeping 35 MPH turns as you exit W/B SR 190 onto N/B SR 65 near Porterville, CA. This curve has killed a lot of people. I can set up a good line through this corner and take it at 75 MPH and never even get any tire squeal.

Here is a shot of the old 'Silver Bullet' right after I hung the front sheet metal, still sitting about 1/2" high up front and empty fuel tank:

[​IMG]

Looks much better with a full tank...Robert

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011