Strictly Street Car Gearing question

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 77 Pontiaccamar, Dec 20, 2015.

1. 77 Pontiaccamar

77 Pontiaccamar New Member

Hey guys I really appreciate your guys replies. I think I will go with the 4.10s

2. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

Yes 3.73 to 4.11. Saying you won't take the car to the track or on the freeway is possible but not probable in the long run.

3. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

As stated, your engine better be built to rev if you want to run 4.56's or 4.88's. Without having a forged and well balanced rotating assembly, I wouldn't go over 3.73's.

4. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a 68 Camaro rs/ss with a 427 bbc , m22 4spd and 4.88 gears turning N50-15's back in the early 80's and that Camaro came out of the hole really hard . Raced it a few times at OCIR and ran a best of 11.80's in the 1/4 trapping in the 6800 rpm which was pushing it back then for a BBC

My 72 Camaro with the built 11.1:1 350sbc ran very well with 4.10's and running 28.5 " rear tires . It came out of the hole also really hard but have since then gone to 3.73 gears . The 3.73's are only maybe 300 rpm lower and I'm pulling about maybe 3200 rpm at 65 mph

5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

With real street tires,3.73's will be plenty to roast the tires into 3rd gear with even the deadest engine. If you live in the city and never plan on leaving town,you can go as high as you want. If you need to drive over 50 mph ,anything over 3.55's gets old. Everybody gears to cruise at 60 MPH,but very few highways go that slow. It is kind of embarrassing when you are out on the open road with your "muscle car",and little old ladies in their 4 door eco boxes are flashing their brights so you can pull over ad let them by. It kind of makes you feel like your old car is a horse and buggy .

6. SilverBullet70

SilverBullet70 New Member

I ran 4.88's on the street for years, I could roll the smoke pretty much anytime I wanted. I switched to 3.73's a couple years ago because I couldn't take the car out of town. I MISS MY 4.88'S... probably going to go back to something in the 4.xx range. I rarely run on any interstate and from your op sounds like your in the same boat!!! Remember it's your car... Build it how YOU want!!!

7. Madmike72

Madmike72 Veteran Member

There's a lot more to picking gears than how high it will rev.
    You have to consider the whole package ,engine, compression ,camshaft ,torque convertor ,vehicle weight and horsepower.
    If you build a high reving small block that doesn't even wake up until 3500rpm...then by all means go with the 4;88's. If your engine is a torque monster right off idle and is all done pulling @5'000 rpm then 4;88's would be a terrible choice. I think you have quite a bit more things to figure out before you pick a gear set. build your engine for what you want to do and then get the parts that work well with it. When I was younger I made a lot of mistakes with mismatched parts. You need to back up and look at the whole combination of parts.
    As far as burning rubber on the street goes, I believe there's a time and a place for everything. I blaze my tires everytime I drive. I don't rip holeshots through a school zone but I have been known to raise a little hell in an industrial park or out of the way road. Some guys on here really against that type of fun and get a little touchy. Good luck and welcome to the sight, now go burn some rubber.

8. LeKid

LeKid Veteran Member

I am against street racing (Not saying I never did it back in the day, but too dangerous these days). But if you want to try and hook on the un-prepped street, putting too much gear in the car will only make you spin. If you just want to do burnouts, then go to a 4.88-5.13 gear, but if you plan on wanting to somewhat hook, you are gonna have to stay conservative. I used to run 3.90 gears when I was playing on the street. 4.10 might have been better but I also had to drive on the highway to go home, so the 3.90 were perfect. I run both 28" and 29.5" tires for that combo.

9. turbodarryl

turbodarryl Veteran Member

3.73 is a really good sweet spot on gears for what your looking for, that's what I have and no complaints here.