Stuck between cylinder heads

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Justin79maro, Sep 11, 2019.

1. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

if you still have not got any heads .. you should talk with Eric Weingartner some guys on this board know him as my self . as for my self i picked up a set of heads from him and price was great he knows his stuff very well. http://wengines.com/index.html

77 cruiser likes this.
  2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Ah, OK got it. Those Vortec's can flow well when ported and make very good power for what they are if they are fitted to the cubic inch. Were they ported ?, and were they the small 170 or the larger ones?

Lot's of good heads out there, AFR, Profiler, Dart, Brodix IK200 are nice also.

3. Justin79maro

Justin79maro Veteran Member

Haven’t bought any yet, probably won’t until around thanks giving. But I will look into it!

4. Justin79maro

I don’t think they were, they were blueprint engines vortec heads I’ll see if I can find more specs on them

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Just finished a set of phase 5 SBC Bowtie heads last night, 2.05 and 1.6, need to get them to the flowbench to see how they do. I love messing with the old stuff, makes me happy when they do well at the track. Next project 062 Vortec heads that will go 260 on the intake side with minimal work, watched some good stuff on how to do it. They will go on a flat top piston 406 with a Bowtie dual plane and a 292H CC. Should be a good runner.

6. Justin79maro

If I go with 195 AFRs what valves should I go woth? 2.05?

7. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

The 195 Eliminator's are 2.050, the CNC Competition Package are 2.08. Both pour at 65cc.

Noticed your best times are with Iron Vortecs with 10:1/64cc, are you getting these AFR's milled?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

So you have dart 200''s now?, with a little work those are good heads. The only thing wrong with them is the exhaust side is pretty poor out of the box, same as Sportsman II heads. What is your goal for the car as possibly putting another set of heads may or may not make a difference. When I ran my 358 last run the 1/8 was 7.23@94 mph and that was with the Sportsman's that I reworked, some on the intake but more on the exhaust side as they sucked on the flow bench. Here's the deal, in the 1/4 my car was only a little faster and quicker over the Bowtie heads but in the first 1/8 the car was a tenth and a half quicker with a poorer 60ft. time most likely because of the 300-25 Strip Dominator being too big. While a good Dual Plane may have helped that it most likely would hurt it upstairs. I would get the Darts ported with a 2.05 valve and with that 60 ft time you have a little more converter will get it in the power band sooner. Sounds like you are close now.

9. $ Mike 70 Z-28

$ Mike 70 Z-28 Veteran Member

I picked up a set of 195 profilers from him . we spoke what i was doing, what i had and he set up my heads. he also milled the heads for me to get more compression. the motor really woke up

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Definitely makes even more of a difference when somebody sets them up specifically for the cam, compression, fuel delivery, etc vs off the shelf units.