Super Chevy and many other magazines are dead

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by BonzoHansen, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

I used to get car (junkyard) craft because they were like roadkill, use parts on hand, get used parts and save money. as time went along it was a magazine all about pushing the advertisers parts. I do like Krauss and Bernie.

2. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

What are they going to do with current subscribers,just re-upped the MCR for 2 years per the worden,MCR screwed me the first time they went away :mad: Will they give us a code or something to at least look on-line?? also have super chevy and car craft,but they were soooo cheap [8-9 bucks a year] straight toilet reading-one read-in the trash,I really don't need to know how to LS everything including a barstool :crazy: Stinks for us grumpy old farts who won't change!!! Later Steve!!

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Some thoughts on it. Nastyz gets a shout out

Todd80Z28, Chevyforever and G72Zed like this.
  4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Interesting and very candid view point.

5. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

not a big mag fan as half of them are the SAME regurgitated story with a couple different "opinions" thrown in. Now 20-30 yrs ago they each had a different niche, different writing...etc.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Too expensive here in Canada to buy off the stands. It’s probably over $10.00 CAD an issue ($7.39) today. When my Wife worked in Princeton NJ I paid peanuts for a 1 yr sub to MuscleCar Review. I haven’t bought ANY car mags for years due to the cost.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  7. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have Hot Rod and Car Craft delivered to my house for less that $1.00 per magazine. Don't know how they stay in business for that. That also helped kill the news stand sales as well.

8. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

Well guess I got my last MCR today,Hot rod and Super Chevy came yesterday!! The old marketing guy at work told me they did the cheap subs to boost circulation so they could use circulation for ad rates [that's where they make their money he said] He tracked web traffic.hits etc to keep track of their advertising dollars now! Brave New World to quote Iron Maiden! Later Steve!!
    I spoke to the fella who stocked the "news stand" at the local chain grocery store,a while ago,He's an outside contractor ,It basically is used as a Library he said,I'm not paying 6-7 bucks for any of the mags out threre!!,but I'm not going to stand around like a deviate reading for hours either LOL!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  9. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think that’s the biggest thing- WE killed them. Once I found this site, the breadth and depth of knowledge here was something a magazine just couldn’t touch. Digital cameras were just starting around the same time, there was just no point in going to a magazine anymore, other than inertia.

10. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm honestly surprised the print-mags made it this far.
    I was done with most of them in the early's 2000's for the lack of new content

Knuckle Dragger likes this.