Super T10 shifter

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by jmgnpd, Feb 10, 2008.

1. jmgnpd

jmgnpd Veteran Member

I'm going to rebuild my '79 super T10 any suggestions or things to look out for? I've rebuilt a few manuals before, but never one of these. It looks simple enough compared to some of the others I've had my hands in.

I'm also re-finishing my shifter and linkage. Can anyone tell me if there are rebuild kits or parts available for this factory shifter. It's not that bad, but it could be better. And, are there supposed to be bushings in the linkage ends? If not, can I do anything to use the Hurst bushings that are available in a kit?

2. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Someone is going to help me rebuild, with a few improvements, mine soon I will ask him what he is going to do. I know there is something with adding rubber something at the rod ends I believe.

3. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

A stock shifter vis a hurst is night and day. The busings help but still it is weak. I just rebuilt mine and it wasn't too bad but I went from 3.42 first gear to 2.64 and it gains major strenght (the trans builder said a 305 with a sticky tire could break it by slipping off the clutch).

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I didn't find factory ITM shifter parts.

Shifter comes apart pretty easy. I sand blasted all the parts, and coated them with eastwood blackening stuff. Except the main bracket which is painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jmgnpd

jmgnpd Veteran Member

Did you have to change the cluster to accomodate the first gear change?

6. KJZ28

KJZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That shifter came out nice!