Swap Meets are Getting Pretty Stingy

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Jun 23, 2019.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Went to the big swap at the the 50's car show and as usual most of it's just junk. What I have seen lately is people putting the "I DON'T WANT TO SELL IT PRICE" on their stuff. I don't know, but if something is not really a collectible and you put a sky high price on it, gee, you have to haul it home. I always have about 10 to 20 bucks on stuff to move the price so when I ask that's where I start. Almost everything I looked at today was "NOPE FIRM ON PRICE" so I guess they like to haul stuff home. Looked at a lower BBC pulley and the lady was asking $25 so I offered $15 nope $25 "I have to make some money" she said. Bye Bye. I stopped going to the bigger ones around our 5 state area as it's not worth the gas to hear crap like that. Seems these are just getting to be flea markets and not swap meets.

2. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup everyone thinks their part is worth more then gold.
    I don't bother going anymore.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I've heard setup day is the day to be there.

The regular vendors find the new guys and cherry pick their stuff early and then during regular hours flip the parts. They gotta make a living too for sure. I really enjoy the swap meets but can't remember the last time I actually bought something at one for my car.

4. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

few years ago I went to the big one in Glendale, talking to a guy with some regular sbc brackets, I asked about price and first thing I get "these are original gm brackets" and the price was like 50 bucks for a alt bracket setup.
    jim

5. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

Except for a bag of rags, which i paid 20 dollars for a 25 pound bag of used shop towels which had been washed and cleaned haven't bought anything at a swap meet in years. Most of the stuff is junk that isn't even vehicle related and no one wants to haggle prices. I keep saying i wont go back, but i end up going hoping for something. I guess it's an addiction from when it was fun and you could actually score some parts. Lol

1972_Z-28 and 1980RS like this.
  6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

There was an antique farm equipment show here a couple of weeks ago. Decent prices but mostly for tractors. The Frog Follies will be at the end of August and I can often find some good deals there. A lot of it though, like you said, they want to haul it home. It used to be you could find some old cars that were too new for the show (1948 and older) at reasonable prices but I thin someone told them the frames were made of gold.

1980RS likes this.
  7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

When I swap myself I never deviate on a price until they let the general public in as the shady sellers are looking to low buck you and yup flip your stuff for a buck. Sold a Sting Ray bike to one guy and he thought he make a killer deal on it. put it in his swap space for double what I sold it for and had no takers on it 3 years later. I went over to him at another meet and offered him 1/2 what he gave me, boy was he po'ed about that. Happy sales I told him. We have a good swap meet here in St. Cloud that I went to last year and there were some great deals there, will be going to that one again for sure.

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Well there’s your answer. People trying buy used parts and then resale them for a profit. No longer a hobby of one guy selling stuff he doesn’t need so another can build his car. It’s all about making money....

76z28 likes this.
  9. 72'z'steve

72'z'steve Veteran Member

It seems its also a parts show,not just a car show,last year guy has his NOS l-78/ls-6 dual snorkel air cleaner out on box on the table for 5k [I know its rare may be worth it?] but is constantly yelling at the gropers tryin to handle it paw it.Why someone would do that to himself is only an ego stroke as I'm sure if he wanted to sell it a few calls to a couple players or post on a real site would sell it.Just sayin-Later Steve!!

10. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

I tried going to the big Pomona auto swap a few times recently and didn't buy anything... also went to the Long Beach high performance swap and only bought a fuel pressure gauge. Had money for the stuff I needed but just didn't find it at either swap meet.