Swap Meets are Getting Pretty Stingy

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Jun 23, 2019.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I've never bought much at Back to the 50's. It's just not that good of a swap meet. Too many potential buyers and not enough vendors. As a matter of fact - I rarely go to that show anymore (even though I have 2 cars eligible to be shown). Used to be a good show when they had 7,000 show cars. Now they get 10 - 14,000 and it's no fun to TRY and find a place to park your show car.

I've done best at the Iola Old Car Show in Wisconsin. Last I checked there were about 4200 vendor spaces and a similar number of potential buyers. With more vendors per potential buyer - the prices and selection are better.

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Englishtown SM is a joke, has been for years. Unless you want a bicycle, die cast or other junk

Bikefixr likes this.
  3. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Englishtown is junk, bikes, cheap tools and Fox Body Mustangs. Haven't been in 5-6 years.

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've never been big on swap meets in general. But then I'm not interested in used parts.

In general - I have no problem with people pricing things at what they expect them to sell for. I detest hagglers and lowballers.
    Back in my speed shop days, one of the quickest ways for people to ensure a non-discount was to ask for a discount before they asked for a price on an item

5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

That's another thing at the shows, the guys who sell the junk tools. I swear there are like 10 vendors that all have the same stuff and you have to be careful as most of the same stuff is available from HF for less money.

6. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Yeah I haven't bought much crap at swaps anymore either. Even the local pick a part has ridiculous prices... They wanted 120 bucks for a USED transmission cooler. That same one on summit was 90 bucks.

As for car shows themselves, I go just to hang out with friends. I don't intend on winning anything ever since most of the guys that win just paid for a professional to build it for them and only use it to win shows rather than drive the damn thing.
    It's amazing how much people spend on a car and will only look at it rather than drive it.

7. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

so far in 2019 I've spent $5k at Spring Carlisle, $3k at the Canfield swap meet and about $2k at the Buter PA swap meet 2 weekends ago

I find TONS of parts...lots of guys are basically giving away what they consider junk

f-body freak likes this.
  8. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Or asking full retail for a Snap-On, Matco and Craftsman stuff that's beat to crap. They always tell you it's lifetime warranty and think thats's worth paying them like it was new.

1980RS and carr911 like this.
  9. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

I was into the pre-60 stuff for a while, I found some pretty decent prices on stuff - as long as I didn't have anything in particular in mind. When I was working on 70-80's cars, I would hit up the stock car swap meets for street car stuff - the guy dragging street car stuff to sell with his stock car stash didn't really have any value on his street car stuff in that environment. Now that I have a late model, people want new prices for their used stuff - and things like wheels are as ugly of a selection as I could have ever imagined...just plan on having to buy brand new.:screwup:

10. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

How does Iola compare to Jefferson?
    I’ve been to Jefferson never to Iola.