Swap Meets are Getting Pretty Stingy

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Jun 23, 2019.

1. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

My favorite part about swap meets is meeting good people that love the hobby and listening to the old timers. I really enjoy hearing their stories and all about the different cars they had back in the day.

f-body freak likes this.
  2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I've never been to Jefferson, so can't really compare on a first hand basis. Does Jefferson have 4200 vendor spaces and is the show on 300 acres dedicated to cars and parts?

3. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Holy crap!
    300 acres is like 1/2 mile x 1 mile

Jefferson is maybe 1/2 that.

4. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

The Glendale AZ meet is okay. I go if a buddy or three is going. I don't expect to find much. Life is better if you keep in contact with friends and family and I don't do enough of that.

I hawk eye what I need and skip past the crap. The guys asking near full retail on tools might be more convenient than me chasing down the tool truck, so that might be to my benefit.

Should I try to make a CA meet sometime? Hmm.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you like the Glendale swap you'll like the Long Beach swap and Pomona will blow your mind.

6. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

I respectfully disagree... Pomona and Long Beach used to be great. Not so much any more. Been to both this year with $$ to spend and only bought a fuel pressure gauge. Almost no 2nd gen stuff

7. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have been to both and Iola is better hands down.... we dragged Laine to Iola and we didnt see much of him because he was wondering the swap meet the whole time he was here :)

Bandit723 likes this.
  8. hillbilly75

hillbilly75 Veteran Member

Truth!

I went to the Island Dragway swap meet this year. It was small (1st year) but the prices were pretty decent and there was no junk there. I ended up with a complete Hurst Indy shifter for my car for $75. It was NIB I’ll have to change the lever out but hell for what I paid I’m still way ahead. Im hoping they have it next year or even have a fall meet, it’s close to the house (10 minutes) and it’s really easy to stop by.

dave@ztech likes this.
  9. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Yea I went to Pomona on vacation last year. Had $$$, and was prepared to ship parts home if I had to. Didn't find much. What I did easily fit in my suitcase. Went with the wife, her step father & brother. Both car guys. They said it's nothing like it used to be. Have plans of hitting Carlisle this fall. I've heard good things about that one. We'll see...

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I used to go to Wild Wades swap in Iowa every year and there was tons of good stuff for sale, but now that one has become a crap show too. Always went to Lou Fager's swap every Feb. but after Lou died the kids did not want to deal with it anymore.