Swap Meets are Getting Pretty Stingy

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Jun 23, 2019.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

When I retire, I plan to take time to go to Iola and Hershey. All my life I've worked two jobs a lot of time and plan to just chill for a bit. Probably not long, I'm too used to working. I'll probably only go once just to be doing it, but I've heard about those two meets for as long as I can remember.

f-body freak likes this.
  2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll have to defer to you, I haven't been to either one for over 10 years. 2nd gen stuff was never easy to find at either one, but I did well with generic performance stuff.

3. black_aerocoupe

black_aerocoupe Veteran Member

I would probably go if I could get my best friend away from his family more easily. I don't get that excited about Glendale because my take-home is only about 2-3 items, average. But if I could make a fun trip out of Pomona, I would do it.

I have to assume the shift is up to the 80s and 90s at this point. CA emissions send a lot of good cars, bad emissions to the junkyard in the sky.

4. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen Veteran Member

Actually, it went the other way... mostly 40s and 50s low rider stuff.

5. MagicRatt

MagicRatt Veteran Member

Best luck I've had with swap meets has been at Maple Grove, buying and selling.

Rich

6. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I go to the Pomona swap meet a couple times a year and have had good luck finding parts I need

This swap meet is huge as in surface area as it's located the Historic Pomona Dragstrip . On their website they say " 15 miles of parts " , and I believe it !!

7. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

As a die hard swap rat and occasional vendor, here is my take on things, at least in my region of the country...There are three basic types of automotive swap meet vendors.
    1. The professional "corporate" vendors with the giant tractor trailer rigs selling all new stuff. I might stop by and look but will usually just breeze on by. I probably have their catalog or web address at home, anyway...
    2. Professional " individual" vendors that sell stuff for a living. These guys have to maintain a certain profit margin or they don't eat and they are not quick to haggle much... I can respect that and will usually be on my way...
    3. Average Joe with excess parts to sell. This guy wants to sell what he has to finance what he needs or to make space in his garage. These guys will haggle with you but some shoppers will try to take advantage of him by lowballing, running down said part, or making some lame excuse why the price is too high.

I fall somewhere in between #2 and #3 and I treat different swaps differently. At small to medium sized swaps, 2nd gen parts are too much of a niche market to make enough money to make it worth all the work and money invested in setting up. At these swaps I'll take oddball non-Camaro stuff that nobody is ever going to call me for and I will price it to sell or haggle on price, up to a point. If you insult me, you won't buy whatever it is at any price...
    This year I set up at the huge PATE Swap Meet in Ft Worth and took a chance on hauling mostly 2nd gen stuff and did alright. Most everything I had was used and I wasn't too worried about folks handling stuff. I did however have an NOS 70 grille in the original box on display. That particular part is obviously somewhat rare and valuable and I didn't let people pick it up and play with it for those reasons. Too many people want to handle stuff even though they have no need for it and no intention of buying it. If they damage it, good luck getting them to pay for it. Most swap shoppers go looking for a good deal, as do I, but I won't insult a seller by lowballing him and sometimes a really fantastic deal comes my way. It's a karma thing and if a vendor can't budge on price, it's usually for a reason. I can accept that for what it is and move on without bad mouthing the guy. There are a few characters who just don't know the value of what they have. Some folks show up with stuff they know nothing about and price themselves out of the market due to ignorance or unwillingness to educate themselves on the parts they are selling. Case in point, I've seen people trying to get $600 out of a V6-71 blower, not knowing that you can't buy a manifold to mount one. I just feel sorry for those guys because they probably paid too much for it in the first place... Don't get me started on the vendors with the jewelry, dishes, and flea market/ yard sale junk. Swap meet or Flea market, There IS a difference...

dave@ztech and 70lt1z28 like this.
  8. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

I dont mind the flea market stuff if the wifey is along. Gives her something to look at. Just dont like it when she finds something & tries to dip into my car parts cash to buy it!! :eek:

9. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Wives are a swap vendors bane... Couldn't tell you how many times I've seen a guy start to buy something and the wife slams the door on that idea. I have seen everything from that "over the glasses look", to arguments, to actual physical hostility... Sucks to lose a sale but amusing to watch all the same... I'm not married and luckily, my girlfriend is as big a swap meet junkie as I am...

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It always amazes me that anyone would let another person run their life like that.