Swap smog help

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by phinamag, Mar 13, 2012.

  1. phinamag

    phinamag Veteran Member

    Jun 18, 2011
    Susanville, CA
    Hey guys I'm a proud owner of a 77 Camaro. But sadly it a L6 I'm here asking about that dressed thing smog ok now to get to the Q. ok I want to swap out my L6 engine for a v8 350 so how do I go about smog?
  2. Kamikaze

    Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Welcome to the forums!
    Nice to see another Nor Cal member as well!

    I cannot answer your question completely as I don't know how your county is regulated with the current laws.

    The best thing I can tell you is that it depends on where your car was originally sold. There could have been different smog equipment for California cars with a 350 V-8 than the other states.

    Basically, you are supposed to have the engine equipped with all the original style smog equipment and be in functioning order for the model year of your vehicle.

    Since the current regulations in most of the metro areas of California require smog checks to be done for cars 1976 and newer, your car will most likely require the equipment as stated above. But, I believe you will also be required to have the car checked by a referee inspection station and be given a certification sticker.

    Since all the smog inspection businesses have to electronically key in your VIN number, your original VIN will show a L-6 engine and without having the certification sticker to provide the "override" code, it will automatically fail before the smog inspector can begin the test.

    It does not hurt you to make some phone calls to the BAR and ask to connect with a Referee inspector regarding engine swaps. In fact, I would call several different times to see if you get different answers! Figure out what the worse case scenario is and run with it! That way, if you go to the referee and have done more than what is needed, you are covered and won't have to deal with it again.

    Also, keep your fingers crossed that the proposed changes in the law pass and that your vehicle will become exempt from the bi-annual inspections!

    Good luck!
  3. phinamag

    phinamag Veteran Member

    Jun 18, 2011
    Susanville, CA
    Yeah I live in northern califonia in susanville and I was wandering where do I call?
  4. Z28 Mark

    Z28 Mark Veteran Member

    Feb 14, 2001
    San Jose, CA.
    Hope that SB 1224 passes (Smog Bill) that pushes the smog year out to 1980 :p
  5. 76 camaro car 1

    76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

    Apr 23, 2010
    Man, I feel for you guys in California having to deal with the pollution laws. Here we just rip all that crap off and throw a set of headers on.
  6. Kamikaze

    Kamikaze Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    You will have to contact the Inspection / Maintenance Referee Station through Bureau of Automotive Repair in Sacramento.
    They are under the Department of Consumer Affairs.

    Before you do that, I would suggest you check around some local shops in your area and see if any do engine swaps or any high-performance work. Don't settle for one shop! Go around and ask several shops, including reputable smog inspection and/or tuen-up shops what the local smog regulations are and get several answers so you can see what the common replies are. Then check with the BAR for the final.

    Just remember, the people at the BAR are not always up to date on the latest laws...
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  7. GOLF72

    GOLF72 Veteran Member

    Jan 11, 2010
    I have a 76 but I also live in Cali. I ended up registering my car in AZ, although I do own property in AZ. No smog over there at least in Mohave County.
  8. Knuckle Dragger

    Knuckle Dragger Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    It's a simple deal man, no referee visit will be required since a V8 was offered in the same year. Put the V8 in with all the equipment the car V8s had . The only thing you need to determine is if the car was a federal or California equipped vehicle. Look at the sticker on the radiator support to see.

    You can also purchase a radiator emissions sticker from one of the restoration companies and build the car to those specifications as far as engine equipment. Since it's an original configuration the smog guy will pass it as long as it's all there. Obviously you're going to have to make sure any aftermarket stuff you put on is C.A.R.B. OK'd for your application (as in a V8 Camaro application).

    If you post specific questions in the California section there are a good number of guys that know the laws well and will reply. Confirm everything with a secondary source because there is a lot of misinformation and speculation out there. Feel free to PM me. I worked smog in Cali for 8 years and had a short stint with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. We'll all get you through it. ;)
  9. phinamag

    phinamag Veteran Member

    Jun 18, 2011
    Susanville, CA
    thanks guys this helps alot and I will pm you later this summer as I don't have the engine in yet
  10. ReDDruM

    ReDDruM Member

    Aug 4, 2009
    central california
    when i put a v8 in my s10 i had to take it to the ref, it wasn't too bad. the engine has to be same year or newer than your car and has to have all smog stuff, computer and transmission that would have came with that engine as well as every sensor (ref failed me one time cause my egr valve was 1 year newer than the engine :( )

Share This Page