swapping holley parts

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by cutty, Dec 28, 2013.

1. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

i got a 750 holley 3310 carb,thats giving me nothing but headaches lol, has always run super rich and part throttle stumble that just wont go away,loads up while idling in gear, ordered a new base plate for it as it has lots of play in the throttle blade shafts,( sprayed carb cleaner around it, and when i spray around secondary shafts sucks it right in, but what im wondering is, that if i take all my parts from the 750 and put on to my 1850 600 body, is it worth the trouble, ive read where people claim it works great but has anyone from here try it? if so pro's and cons to it? i do plan on installing the new base plate on to the 3310 first, and see if it helps

motor details, motor is a 30 over 454 with 10 to 1 comp, comp cam xe 268,right now has a performer intake,( gonna up grade to rpm in future), heads are 781s,with port work,

2. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

NO, the 600 has 1.562" throttle bores
    All the 650-830 carbs have 1.688" throttle bores
    The 850 has 1.75" throttle bores.

I know I have answered this same exact post a week or two ago.

3. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

no, was gonna use the 750 base plate on the 600

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Holley makes plastic inserts/seals that go around the throttle shaft, come in rebuild kits. I would certainly go that route before I bought a new baseplate.

5. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

new plate was only 100 bucks,

6. markw

markw Veteran Member

^^^This^^^
    Where did this carb come from? How old is it? Has it been rebuilt lately? What jets are in it? What power valves? The only time I would consider a new baseplate is if one of the mounting ears was broken off of my old one.
    And I have to ask what your timing curve looks like, since that has to be right before any carb tuning can be done.

7. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If a new plate is only 100 bucks, then why toss that at something you're not sure it will fix the problem? For a mere few more hundred, you can have an entirely new carburetor? IMHO

8. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

timing is at 18 at crank, 36 by 2800, pv is a 4.5, jets are 72, motor has 12 inchs of vac in park, 9 in gear,theres lots of play in the shaft, figured for a 100 bucks, go new instead of getting bushings,

9. markw

markw Veteran Member

Put an 8.5 power valve in, that should help the part throttle stumble. You should see more than 12" vacuum with that cam. Tightening up the shafts should raise that some. The transfer slot exposure is real important. You should see the primaries look square (about .020-.030) and the secondaries should be closed (the secondary idle screw in about 1/8 turn from closed, just to keep the blades from sticking.) What is the history on that carb? Any chance it was drilled on by a previous owner? How sensitive are the mixture screws?

10. cutty

cutty Veteran Member

when i turn the mixture screws all the way in takes about a min or 2 for it to stall out, not to sure on the history got it from a speed shop used,