Swapping Thrush 17656 for Dynomax super turbos

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 450bench, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Flextrainer

Flextrainer Veteran Member

My thoughts. I wanted quiet and was recommended these by my exh guy( a family friend). Said he saw less than a .1 difference vs open on his 1/8 mi car. Idle and short revs.
    http://youtu.be/Kdw5ZzZeZ0w

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

Do the tail pipes point down to the ground at an angle or straight out the back? I bought a Mangaflow kit and it pointed down at an angle behind the rear tires and it was kinda loud, I bought it back to the exhaust shop and they bent up some tail pipes to point it out the back and that was the best $75 I ever spent as it quieted it down and still sounds good.

Good luck,
    Marc

3. 450bench

450bench Veteran Member

Good idea. Mine bend downward behind the rear tire.

4. 1st and goal

1st and goal Veteran Member

Glad to help ;)
    Good luck, post back after you do it.

Marc

5. stu

stu Veteran Member

I just put a set of the Dynomax 2 1/2 Super Turbos (20" long) on my truck, they are awesome. Just slightly louder than the OEM Walkers, even with turndowns in front of the axle. Picked up noticeable torque, really happy with these.

I am going to buy a pair of the shorter ones for the Z based on this swap, had the same resonance and noise till I added tail pipes. That was with the old mufflers, they are an old design and really loud.

6. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am running Dynomax Super Turbos on my 350 with tailpipes and they are pretty quiet relative to Flowmasters...

7. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Anything will sound better than Flowmasters or any of those chambered/welded mufflers. It's not just raw decibels, it's the tone of the exhaust. Any of the modern straight-through designs are quieter at idle, no drone while cruising but will still rip your face off at WOT pretty good.

Oh, and those chambered (Flowmaster-style) mufflers really don't flow all that well, either.

I installed a set of dual 3" Magnaflows on my warmed-over truck with turn-downs (admittedly under the bed, not under the passenger compartment like it would be in a car) and while they are a bit throaty for the suburbs, the tone made them very livable in the cab. I could easily sneak around at light throttle and not set off nearby car alarms. They don't rip until you really lay into it. Flowmasters are just loud and tinny all the time by comparison.

I just HATE that Flowmaster droning. After 25 years of that awful sound on a bunch of different vehicles, anything is a relief by comparison.

8. rtanner

rtanner Veteran Member

BS!!! summitt turbos or not same as super turbos!!!

9. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

X2
    They neck down inside.

10. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

As you can see with the comments by me and bondo.. My 6-8 year old summit turbos are 100% super turbos, no question about it, but it seems as they have changed who the get them from now.