Sway bar hitting my 9" rear end help

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by alpinemetal, Mar 23, 2020.

1. alpinemetal

alpinemetal Member

My 71 project (shell) is up on blocks and after I installed my 1 ½ lowering springs with Caltracks (no shocks installed yet). I moved onto the rear sway bar and once installed the sway bar is hitting the rear end still short of the drop links by well over an inch. As a welder/fabricator I could easily make the drop links 1-2 inches longer but I’m hesitant to modify them without know where the sway bar would end up with the full weight of the car (completed) on the ground.

I’ve read on other forums rides with Moser and other aftermarket rear ends run into the same problem.

I’ll take all the advice I can get here with this project far for being near completion.

Thanks

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

7F6AFBB8-2A47-4BF6-9525-62E3D05ED6CB.jpeg 4191759B-ACF5-4554-9B29-F4154074F936.jpeg

I suggest getting a Detroit Speed rear sway or 2nd bet would be Hotchkis. Hotchkis will be easier to install. I have ran both....People don't believe me when I say I have ran all these suspension parts to make the remarks I do...But its true.

3. alpinemetal

alpinemetal Member

My suspension budget is pretty much tanked with Hotchkis front bar and Global West Del-A-Lum control arms...know the rear suspension travel would be helpful though, I'l like to use the bar I have especially considering I had to lop 5/8" off ob both ends to clear the Caltacs brackets.

4. badazz81z28

Trust me....Don't try to save money. There are forum members that can give you a tax free discount

5. alpinemetal

alpinemetal Member

badazz,
    Can you 100% assure me I won't run into the same problem with Detroit Speed or Hotchkis?

6. badazz81z28

With both these kits, the bar mounts under the axle and attaches to the inside on the rear frame rail. Do you have a picture of your issue?

7. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

is it the stock bar?

8. alpinemetal

alpinemetal Member

No, I talked to Doug at Global West his recommendation was to go without a rear bar for auto cross (only drag racing) because of very little weight at back of the car I'll have over steer issues and through their testing they were getting better times without a rear sway bar

Lowend likes this.
  9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You put on Caltracs for autocrossing? Do you have a picture of where it is hitting and how it attaches now, and are you saying it is not , the stock bar?

10. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

What Dave said, the reason Doug said to not use a rear bar is because of the Caltracs, that solid front bushing will bind the suspension and as soon as you apply power that caltrac is going to turn your rear end housing into a giant sway bar .

Lowend likes this.