Switched to 3.73 gears and not loving it

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by sinnyz_me, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

It clearly hurt my gas mileage, so i will disagree.

2. NYH1

NYH1 Veteran Member

That and who wants to listen to their engine turning 4k RPM when there's no need to.

NYH1.

3. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Veteran Member

I did my bit for the tree huggers when I installed the 950 holley instead of the 1050.

Plant Engineer and NYH1 like this.
  4. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Member Gold Member

In my younger years with 4.56s did not mind running 4000 rpm, did not care about fuel mileage just wanted performance. Had to run that rpm to get away from exhaust drone. Took many trips from Saint John NB to North Sydney NS to catch ferry to Newfoundland about 400 miles in a morning, leave at 5 AM to be in North Sydney by noon or after work Friday nights would drive 120 miles home to the farm and back to Saint John Sunday night during planting, haying and combining grain usually 10 trips a summer. At this time roads in this area where 2 lanes 4.56s were good for passing. Now older want a quieter drive to take trips to see family in Ontario, a round trip of 2400 miles and trips to USA to see Camaro events. So I plan on 3.42s which will rpm at about 3200 at 70 instead of 3500 with 3.73s

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Try driving a Jeep with 5.38's and 33" tires ................ I did !!! , 3800rpm for 400 miles

6. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Get an overdrive tranny. I love my 200 4R. I have my 3.73s and it’s barely over 2250 rpm going downtown the highway. Best of all I still have the 3.73s for acceleration when I need it

sinnyz_me and NYH1 like this.
  7. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

Aint that the truth. I keep hearing about people flat lugging their engines at 1400 RPM running down the highway. Like, why are you doing that? I run 4.10's with 29 inch tires and 70 MPH is a good 3400 RPM . So what . 2500-3500 is where an engine likes to sing on the highway.

muscl car likes this.
  8. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I agree I like RPM also.. Worked at a marine shop and those 305 and 350" engines would run at 5500rpm for many long runs across the lake.

If the drone or loud exhaust bothers you then build a quieter exhaust.
    MPG can suffer no doubt. Just get in the slow lane and take your time getting from point A to point B.

Or do as I have doen change the entire rearend or change the gear out.
    I always kept spare gears ready to drop in.
    Having a 9" rearend helps.
    But when I did not have that I had complete rearends with brakes and all ready to bolt in.

I am surprised all you hot rodders or old car owners would not have a plethora of parts.
    I suppose if you live in an apartment or something and no friends with a place to store your goodies you may not have spare goodies.

muscl car likes this.
  9. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

3:73 out back is a really nice gear ratio, you are just running the wrong transmission.

With that said, I would not go to the trouble of doing a tranny swap without putting in some type of OD transmission. Cruising around at 4500 rpm was cool back in the 1970's but who in the heck wants to do that today when there are much better options.

I put a wide ratio M-20 in my 3:73 rear axle 1973 Camaro a few years back and almost immediately regretted not going with a TKO or something comparable. I have the close ratio TKO600 in my '69 vette and even with the .82 OD I'm only turning 3000 rpm at 80 mph.

The TKO shifts so much nicer as well without all the external linkage, I liked it so much in the vette that I bought the .64 version for the Camaro.

Bite the bullet, spend the extra cash and don't look back

10. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

I recently switched to a Richmond 5 speed O/D transmission. OK. I was skeptical I would like it but man what a difference that made. The ability to cruise at 80 MPH with 4.10 gears at 3000 RPM has got me out on the road a LOT more. I'm enjoying the car more now than ever.