Switched to 3.73 gears and not loving it

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by sinnyz_me, Jul 7, 2018.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am also looking at the Richmond 5 speed , any complaints ? Would you have rather had the Tremec?

2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I just took my Son's 409 car out with the 3.08's, worked pretty good but I would have preferred 2.73's but the never made them for a 58-64 car. I will be putting my 4.10 gears back in my 1st gen car as I have a T56 and the car just screams with the 4.10 gears and a 2.95 low gear in the T56.

3. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

I like the Richmonds for a couple of reasons. The Length is the same as the TH400 and it uses the same Yoke. Also the same length and splines as a fat shaft Muncie. Both of which Ive had and I didnt have to change anything to put the Richmond in other than turn the transmission crossmember around and drill some new holes in the subframe. Standard bellhousing and clutch , flywheel etc , didnt need a hydraulic throwout. It whines like a Muncie M22 in 1-3rd gear and 5th gear. 4th is quiet . Not sure why that is but it is. About the same noise wise as the Muncie but nowhere near as loud as a G Force. Its strong. I beat the hell out of mine. If you do go with the Richmond Make sure to take the shifter off and Loctite and really crank down on the bolts holding the shifter bracket to the transmission as they put them on finger tight. Also the straight stick Long supplies is next to worthless and puts the shift knob solidly under the dash. You need about a 4 inch lay back shift lever. The 3.08 gear 1st will set you back in the seat and the .77 OD is great for Hwy driving. With my 4.10's and 29 inch tires its like having 2.73's on the highway. I'm pushing 650HP with the 427 with 18 inch wide tires and it drives just fine revving it up to 6 grand and dropping the clutch.

[​IMG]

camaro71/holland and dave@ztech like this.
  4. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

MorM info on this car/build please. :bowtie:
    Links?

5. Plant Engineer

Gen 6+ ZZ454 block standard bore
    Callies 3.76" Compstar forged crankshaft
    Molnar 6.535" Rods
    Racetec 11:1 pistons
    AFR 265 chamber ported 2610-1 Heads
    Lunati 240/245 @ .050" hydraulic roller with Morel lifters. .610" lift , Comp gold rockers
    Holley HP Fuel injection sequential fired 48 lb injectors, dual sync distributor
    24 lb Steel flywheel
    RXT dual disc clutch
    Richmond S/S 5 speed with Long Shifter
    Strange Dana 60 4.10 gears, Strange rear disks, Strange driveshhaft. 3350 joints and steel yoke
    Huge radiator with electric fans and pump
    hydroboost brakes
    4 links suspension in back with coilovers all around. Fully tubbed, 29x18.5-15LT Hoosiers
    Goes and stops. I put about 250 miles a week on it.

Yada Yada Yada

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

I dig it!

7. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

Sweet ride!! Do you have any more pics of the radiator set up? Also what size tail pipes? If u can fit 3 inch(my car is stock) is definitely add some

8. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

I looked at the Richmond when I bought the TKO for my '69 but decided on the Tremec as its gear ratio's were better suited with the 3:73 rear end I already had.

Take a look at some gearing calculators if you plan to run 3:73 or better out back as the Richmonds 3.08 1st gear is gonna be mighty short especially if running your typical 26 inch rear low profile 17 inch rubber. To me on paper the Richmond looks like a perfect match for having 3:08 or 3:42 out back

9. Plant Engineer

26 inch tall tires look silly in back. Fill those wheel wells!

Sorry, my 80's hotrodder self sneaks out every now and then.

10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

To add to Plant Engineer’s great post and direct experience on the Richmond, make sure you use a good GL4 gear oil, and not the GL6 they used to say to use with that trans, recommended oil has since been changed from Richmond, I believe.

They are very robust, and case size and centre to centre diamensions compared to the TKO shows this. I drove a TKO 600, and did not like the shifter or feel. The Long shifter is mechanical in feel, but adjustable including side rails, and easily serviceable. Only complaint I have was the higher RPM shifting, it does take a toll on the synchros after awhile, even if they are the “road race” synchros in the Super Street trans.