T-10 Borg Warner / Pops Out Of Gear

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by GOLF72, Aug 18, 2011.

1. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    I just did the conversion. The tranny was supposedly newly rebuilt (sat for 6 months). I did the install conversion, etc. All good. During test drive it was popping out of 2nd gear. I adjusted the linkage and now it pops out of 4 gear but very sporatically.

My underlying questions is....do you think the tranny is bad or do I just need to keep adjusting the linkage. If just adjustment, any tricks as to how to get it perfect other than adjust, test drive, adjust, test drive, etc, etc.

Everything in the conversion is new, (clutch, PP. TOB, fork, etc).

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
    popping out of gear from my limited history rebuilding broken manual trans was worn or broken synchro hub locks when the trans itself was to blame...but if your linkage is not allowing a full shift that could do it too.

How are you adjusting the linkage? There should be a hole to put an allen key or piece of rod stock through to center all the gates and then you adjust the linkage.

3. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    If you can't adjust it then just like Bondo says, synchro's, he straightened me up on this a few years back. By the way, thanx again Bondo.;)

4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Southern Maryland
  5. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Las Cruces, NM
    Is there a writeup on how to adjust the linkage anywhere?

6. GOLF72

GOLF72 Veteran Member

Jan 11, 2010
    CORONA, CA
    I hope it is not syncro. I wish I could find a "how to" on linkage adjustment. It is a pain because I adjust then test drive, then adjust and test drive. The car will shift perfect and then pop out for no reason.

I am not a tranny person and I hope I dont have to take to trans shop.

Bondo thanks for the insight. I will keep plaing with it and see what happens. :(

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Popping outta gear is probably synchros...it was on my muncie.

8. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I'm going back to when I ran a four speed Muncie or a BW T-10 about 40 years ago to try to remember how to adjust a shifter! LOL! Here is the link to the proceedure that is posted on the Hurst website: http://www.hurst-shifters.com/faq/13

You need a 1/4" round rod. I remember using a 1/4" drill's shank for this. New Hurst shifters came with a 1/4" piece of round stock bent into an "L". Put the shifter in neutral. Put the 1/4" rod through the slot in the bottom of the shifter housing. Adjust all the rods so that the 1/4" rod can be inserted without hitting any of the shifter arms.

This ASSUMES that:

1) the shifter isn't worn out.

2) the shifter rod bushings aren't worn out. I NEVER use steel bushings they wear out the shifter arms. I ALWAYS used the plastic ones as they are much more readily available and a lot less expensive than shifter arms.

3) here's the costly one: it assumes that the transmission's syncromesh parts are not worn. Parts: brass rings, syncro sliders, syncro piviots, and the syncro teeth on the gears. If any one of them is worn, the transmission will pop out of gear.

IF adusting the shifter doesn't fix it, then you're destineded to pull the transmission. IF you do have to pull the transmission, in order to pull the side cover the trans has to be in 2nd gear. Once you pull the cover off, post pictures of all of the gears and we may be able to tell you if they are worn out or not.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  9. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    I found the link below where the owner disassembles at BW T10 and has pictures of everything. Of note is the pictures of the gears, brass syncros, etc. that are worn out especially the reverse gear (which is rounded off because whoever drove the car didn't wait till the car and transmission were completely stopped before shifting into reverse!).

It is kind of hard to see but ALL of the syncro parts are NOT square but all are pretty much rounded = worn out junk. I would be suprised it that transmission didn't still pop out of gear even after replacing the brass syncro rings!

http://www.stingray75.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&itemid=27

10. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.